Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

layer lift on perimeter.

Posted by Duality 
layer lift on perimeter.
November 30, 2014 02:07PM
Hi there!

I am having issues on perimeter layers lifting it seems.
this happens only on the outer perimeter anywhere (at random it seems) on the print.

I know it happens only on the perimeter is because if i print a solid test object,
the inside is nicely layed down and filled.
i have 3 vertical shels. and only the outside perimeter experiences this issue.

I have calibrated my e-steps to see if the problem layed there, following triffid's guide,
for calculating and fine tuning.
the solid layers are really really nicely flat.

I have a I2 printer, with a E3D V6 hotend with a 0.4mm nozzle. I print at 0.3mm layerheight.
I print 1.75mm Filament ABS at 230 degrees celcius. with a bowden.

I slice with slic3r.

I am really out of ideas about what this could be.
you see I used to print with direct drive. and the outside perimeter on that was fine.
so yea, any suggestions would be really appriciated !!

Greetings,
Duality

Pictures:
these are solid printed:
[flic.kr]
[flic.kr]
[flic.kr]
[flic.kr]
these were 30% infill and printed at 250 degrees celcius:
[flic.kr]
[flic.kr]
[flic.kr]
Re: layer lift on perimeter.
November 30, 2014 06:57PM
Sort of the same thing happens here and I believe that is because when the hot end arrives to the perimeter, comes back right immeditely when the last line injected is still hot and soft and it atracts more hot plastic from the hot end to the layer creating the idea that the hot end is injecting more plastic. I reduced the speed and put the fan to work 100% in those apparently ramdon spots which in reality are ends where the hot end moves back and forth very fast, and have a great improvement though not all the problem has dissapeared. I may be seeing this according to my personal case and not yours. Please what's your insight?
November 30, 2014 11:41PM
Your perimeters seem shy on plastic though, you could try changing perimeter settings to use more plastic or to travel slower.
It has been reported that some slicers do not do perimeter shells as well as others... Like I recently tried to print a completely inadequate shelled print using Slic3r which decided to make a 3 layer shell with the middle shell being interpreted as infill (even though it was set to 3 shells) using short line segments which did not print end-to-end but skipped and went back and forth making a stringy mess and estimated time to print of 36 hours but should have only taken one third of that. I canceled it. You could try a different slicer if you can to see if that resolves your issue. Skeinforge does shells well.
December 01, 2014 12:28PM
I tried it with Slic3r and With Cura.
I don't have a lot of experience with cura.
But with Slic3r I let it decide which widths to use.

both in the case of cura and slic3r produce this.
December 01, 2014 07:33PM
What bed temperature and are you protecting the printer from cold air drafts? What speed are you printing at?

It really looks like a normal case of ABS delamination, so slow down printing speed, or increase temperature to 240 and either built a skirt around the part, enclose the printer or use a 200 watts bulb to keep hot air around the part
December 04, 2014 12:21PM
hey thanks for the reply ggherbaz ! smiling smiley
i am printing my abs at 230 and the bed temp is 110.

I already tried increasing the temperature to as much as 250 but it had no effect.
but, i'll try printing slower smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login