Advanced

How do you setup your 3d model to have moveable parts

Posted by tayana 
How do you setup your 3d model to have moveable parts
November 24, 2014 12:18PM
Hello,
I am very curious in how do you set up your 3d model
that you want to have moving parts? I know the concept is
very simple but the process seems a little daunting?
Thanks for your help
I use Sketchup as my main design tool
Tayana
Re: How do you setup your 3d model to have moveable parts
November 24, 2014 01:56PM
Can you expand on your question? There are various ways to connect 2 moving parts, or print them so they breakaway after printing. IMHO, sketchup is not the easiest to work with when trying to make precision parts. I use SCAD, for modeling fit together parts(or about anything I make), it makes adjusting much easier.
November 25, 2014 12:50AM
Yea im just curious, how do you even approach a "moveable" print?
say there gears, would you just float them a little above there neighboring
components? set a tolerance? that will allow you to break free after the print?
IMHO? is this a software? I will look at SCAD.
I appreciate your help!
Mahalo!
Tayana
November 25, 2014 02:01PM
You need a cad software that allows you to create assemblies.

I use Inventor, I generate an assembly of the parts with usually a one layer separation between the parts so no support material is generated. Once all the parts are in the right place I create the STL file.
November 25, 2014 06:00PM
So basically you want to float the pieces within each other,
so if I wanted to do a ball and socket I would make the ball just a
tad "layer thickness" smaller then the internal of the ball.
and the STL file will tell the printer to , void that space and not print?
VERY COOL! thank you SO much GGHERBAZsmiling smiley
November 26, 2014 03:13PM
It won't work that way. You can't float a piece inside another piece, with out some sort of support. Printing a ball is hard enough, edges will want to sag, printing it inside a socket would be almost impossible. someone correct me if I'm wrong. I build my ball & sockets individually, and snap the ball into the socket. I can post my SCAD file when I get home if you like. I happened across a different design today,a manufactured ball and socket, that I want to try and build. the design looked easier to print and stronger then the design I am currently using.
November 26, 2014 10:24PM
cat.farmer
You can't float a piece inside another piece

Yes you can, if you do it right you can "float" one piece inside another one. Support material stops one layer before a 100% infill is layered, so if you create a part with a separation equivalent to a layer (0.1-0.15) the outer piece works as support of the inner one. I have done some CV joints for my remote control car and I have printed several of them this way.
November 26, 2014 11:59PM
ok.. so I'm interested..
what layer height are you printing at?
PLA,ABS, ??
nozzle size?
print speed?
can you post a pic of the cad drawing?

I still don't think a ball joint would print right, but I have 4 days off and would like to play with the idea.

Oh..and tayana.. IMHO = in my humble opinion..
November 27, 2014 02:11AM
Don't know if these files will help you or not? let me know what cad software you use to try to create a file for you software. (STL file is too big)

Basically for this kind of prints you need to use 0.1 layer since gives the best results (0.2 it's ok but 0.3 hard to achieve), both PLA and ABS works fine but slow speed for PLA (15-20) and faster for ABS (30-50). separation between parts needs to be no greater than 0.15 to prevent the slicer from generating support structure.

Hard to see on the image, but between the two middle dark blue lines is the separation from the inner ball and the outer one.

If I have some time tomorrow I will print one and post the results.

The trick is generate the assembly of the two parts.
Attachments:
open | download - Assembly Ball.iam (122.5 KB)
open | download - ball 1.ipt (98.5 KB)
open | download - Ball 2.ipt (120 KB)
open | download - Assembly Ball.stp (11.2 KB)
open | download - ball 1.stp (3.5 KB)
open | download - Ball 2.stp (5.9 KB)
open | download - Ball .jpg (427.1 KB)
November 27, 2014 08:23AM
I couldn't open the files other then the JPG, but I get the idea. I'm using SCAD, but you don't need to go through the trouble of creating a file. I would like to see a finished product though. how big are the objects, or more to the point, how small can you go?

I was thinking of building an RC car this winter, I do RC planes, in fact I started on my printer with the goal of building a quadcopter, which I have not started on yet.
Thanks for broadening my printer knowledge!
December 03, 2014 01:47PM
I'll be printing one part this weekend, I'll post the pictures. I'm working on a small rc airplane now.

Regarding the size, that's where things get difficult, I usually oversize the parts to prevent deformations, if you willing to print slow enough (I mean really slow 5 to 10mm/sec tops) the smallest inner ball size it's about 6mm in diameter, the extrusion multiplier needs to go down to 0.5~0.7 and width of 0.2 max (my nozzle is a 0.3) don't even try with wider nozzles, a 0.2 nozzle will be perfect but I can't deal with them, at those sizes infill is useless and will create more problems than any other thing, 3 outer perimeters will give you a 100% infill anyways but even at 2 perimeters you can do without infill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 02:17PM by ggherbaz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login