Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noodles around the nozzle

Posted by keyaren 
Noodles around the nozzle
November 21, 2014 07:59PM
I have been having problems with my Mendel 90 for a while now. Initially the problem was with the bed levelling and setting the Z parameters. Now that is sorted out, but have ended up with a new problem.
The first layer wont stick to the glass bed; and the melted filament kind of becomes like noodles around the nozzle. I am using 3mm PLA with E3D-V6 hotend. The temperature for the extruder is set for 215 deg C (I have tried at different settings from 185 deg C up to 215 deg C) and the bed is set to 90 deg C (I have tried various settings from 60 deg C to 90 deg C). Am using AutoCAD to draw the solid and exporting it as STL file. This file is then opened in slicer and the GCode is exported to Pronterface.
Can someone advice me on what might be causing this problem?

The VIDEO is attached if that might be of any help to you.
Re: Noodles around the nozzle
November 22, 2014 02:44AM
What gap have you set the nozzle height to?. It should be between 0.05 and 0.1mm - thickness of a piece of copy paper. Home the Z axis and check - the paper should drag lightly when you tug it. Also make sure your bed is cleaned with glass cleaner and rubbed thoroughly with dry kitchen towel. I know some people have to use something on the bed to make the stuff stick but I have never needed to. I assume your hotend is extruding a nice continuous flow of filament - to test,raise the Z axis maybe 20mm and hit "extrude 20mm" or so to check. Also, make sure you have 2 or 3 skirt loops set in your slicer to prime the extruder when a print starts.

November 22, 2014 04:48AM
In my experience, some PLA filaments will adhere to plain glass, while others won't. For the ones that do, I wash the glass in hot soapy water (not acetone or any other organic solvent) initially, then wipe the glass with distilled vinegar before each print. Get the nozzle height just right and use a slow first layer speed. I use a bed temperature of 65C indicated although it's about 10C cooler than that on top of the glass. For filaments that won't stick to plain glass, coat the glass with solvent pipe cement, or diluted PVA adhesive, or super hold hairspray.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Noodles around the nozzle
December 09, 2014 07:46PM
thank you all for the helpful tips. i tried all of them and nothing worked. so i dismantled the printer and started from scratch again. that didnt work either. however through trial and error and a LOT OF PATIENCE, i have now found why the extruder was getting clogged all the time.
the e3dv6 hotend has a small cooling fan which i never used. so when this fan is not connected, the temperature from the nozzle starts to go up the extruder and pretty much the entire extruder (cold zone and hot zone) gets filled with melted PLA. this melted PLA does not get pushed down by the gear (filament feed) on the top, and the gear starts to grind on the filament.
now the printer has been sorted and is working really well...

sorry not the best photo, but you get the idea smiling smiley

i dont have any of the common problems people face with their printers. however the catch is...
New Problem - Bottom Layer Fusion
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login