Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some layers come unstuck during print

Posted by Eqpirate07 
Some layers come unstuck during print
November 18, 2014 01:04PM
As I leave my printer going for a longer print, say 5+ hours, at some parts the layers are partially coming undone! Does anybody know what causes this and/or how I can fix thi?

Thanks,

-Jake

Re: Some layers come unstuck during print
November 18, 2014 01:43PM
Jake,

The plastic is shrinking more at the outside than the inside of the print, so it cracks. This will be worse with ABS than PLA, as ABS shrinks more. You didn't mention if you are using PLA or ABS.

For ABS - one solution is to contain the heat, near but below the glass transition temperature of ABS so there is less shrinkage while printing.

I had problems like you show when I used an Afinia printer to print wide with ABS, without a chamber, but still had some problems with another Afinia with a chamber - this only contained some of the heat.

You also may want to try printing some narrow parts and try breaking them to see how much adhesion there is between layers, and adjust your temperature.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
November 18, 2014 04:49PM
Thanks for the reply!

It is with ABS. When you say contain the heat and chamber, do you mean to say I should enclose the printer? I have been thinking of doing that because I turn the AC way down at night, and this mostly happens when I'm printing overnight. Also you say after the first few layers I should lower the temperature of the extruder? Currently I am printing at 230 C for the whole print.

Thanks for the help!

-Jake
November 18, 2014 05:35PM
Not necessarily lower the temp but adjust up or down until you have the best layer adhesion. Enclosing the printer can be as simple as putting a towel hanging around it but out of the way of hot and moving parts to stop drafts, putting a cardboard box over it, or building a full enclosure.
November 19, 2014 01:08AM
I agree with Zerodameaon.
If you find the adhesion is poor, and you are using a large layer height, then you may also want to try increasing the extrusion width in your slicer slightly.
November 23, 2014 05:49PM
Solution -> [forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login