Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows recovered from a serious error

Posted by barakori 
Windows recovered from a serious error
November 12, 2014 01:52PM
Over the last couple of months, I had 3 incidents where I tried to print a long print (10+ hours) overnight.
When I came in the morning, I saw the printing stopped at some point, and my computer rebooted. After logging in, I got the message in the title.

I'm printing using pronterface. The first time this happened, I thought it may have just been a coincidence (and something else caused the machine to reboot), but this does seem related now.

I'd add that I do get successful prints overnights sometime, it's just that it's really not predictable.

Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Thanks.
Re: Windows recovered from a serious error
November 12, 2014 05:06PM
Practically impossible to say what's the problem without a lot of extra info, but one thing that will help is to switch off reboot on system error.

There are lots of ways to get to this screen, try Control panel->System and security->System. Follow the 1, 2, 3 and disable reboot.

In case you're worried about this, the threshold for whether the system will reboot when it encounters an error are absurdly low. It's one of the first settings to get switched off on any new intall I've done.

Screenshot is Windows 8, but it's applicable all the way back to XP.

November 13, 2014 02:38PM
@Ulakn, thanks. That's was a real great pointer.

To sum things up, I looked at the screenshot, and realized that based on "Write an event to the system log", I can probably look for that event.

I ran the event viewer (e.g. in Win7 hit start and type "event viewer"). I chose the Windows Logs / System and searched for errors.

There's a BugCheck at 3:27 AM:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa80098a0470, 0xfffff80000b9c3d8, 0xfffffa800bf30010). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 111214-45630-01.

Looking a bit later, I see a 3:15 AM from WindowsUpdateClient:
Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 15 minutes

Well, I'll need to also stop auto updating...
November 14, 2014 03:07AM
I always print from the SD card, so that once the print has started, it doesn't matter what happens to Windows. It gives better print quality too because the printer is never waiting for data.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 03:09AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login