Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder motor only working when dry

Posted by Hauser 
Extruder motor only working when dry
November 02, 2014 01:34PM
Hi all,

I got my first 3D printer a few days ago and I just finished building it (it is a Prusa i3 kit). Everything seems to be ok, I customized the Marlin fimware to my needs and I should be ready to go. However I found an issue with the extruder (Greg's Wade). When I was about to calibrate the extruder motor I noticed that the motor did not have enough torque to feed the filament (ABS, 3mm) into the extruder. When trying to troubleshoot it, I modified the firmware so I could operate the motor with a cold Hot End. Then I noticed that when the hot end is cold the motor works just fine but, when the hot end is hot, it seems to lose all its strength. I believe the motor is a standard NEMA17 Stepper motor. The board is an Arduino Mega 2560.

Any help on this would be much welcome! thanks in advance.
Re: Extruder motor only working when dry
November 02, 2014 03:04PM
Just adjust the potentiometer in the stepper driver with and anti-static (plastic) screw driver.
November 02, 2014 03:13PM
ggherbaz
Just adjust the potentiometer in the stepper driver with and anti-static (plastic) screw driver.

Thanks.

CW or CCW and by how much?
November 02, 2014 10:38PM
You can do it three ways:
CCW all the way until motors don't move any more and then adjust from there until motors moves without hesitation.
CW until motors whine then reduce until motors move smooth.
Then there is the mathematical way measuring the stepper driver with a volts meter. But option 1or 2 are sufficient. ( you can read the wiki page and follow the instructions) .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 10:40PM by ggherbaz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login