Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner needs to get to the next level

Posted by i_am_Halloran 
Beginner needs to get to the next level
November 02, 2014 10:35AM
Hi all,

I have a MakerFarm Prusa i3 (magma head, ABS), and have been getting decent results on simple prints such as bottle openers, cube puzzles, etc. Now I am trying to get to the next level, and an trying to print a linked chain:
[www.thingiverse.com]

The print is not working, and I see a number of different ways to go to try to resolve it, so I'm looking for some guidance.

The print comes out with VERY little area on the platter - just barely 3 passes with the filament - as the first layer. This seems to be the main cause of the problem - after a few layers, the links won't stick, come off the platter, and the print is over.

It's clear to me that the print could be done with a much wider base for those links, but I don't know how to attach this: is it a matter of settings in slic3r (0.99), should I modify the STL before generating gcode? Or should I look for a totally different STL file in the first place (I've tried 2 different chain versions at this point).

At any rate, would appreciate any advice on where to start tackling the issue, Thanks!
Re: Beginner needs to get to the next level
November 02, 2014 03:53PM
Try adding a brim to it in Slic3r

November 02, 2014 07:39PM
Have you played with your slicer settings? Have you tried lower layer height, smaller nozzle settings and extrusion width to increase the amount of filament layered? How fast are you trying to print?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login