Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All Metal Hot End Jamming!!

Posted by liamrichards25 
All Metal Hot End Jamming!!
October 19, 2014 10:05AM
Hello all,

I am fairly newish to 3d printing, started building a Prusa I3 at the beginning of summer, I began with a standard j head hot end and all was great got some fantastic prints really happy with it, over time my j head began to get a little worn so I decided it was time to upgrade and get myself an all metal hot end, I was looking at the E3D V6 and just getting the body but found they were out of stock and being the impatient person I am I took to ebay and ordered an all metal hot end which looked exactly like the E3D ( this could be my downfall) alas I purchased it I installed it straight away and began having problems trying to get the plastic to melt then I stupidly took it apart to clean it and snapped the throat inside instead of purchasing a new throat I made one from brass at uni and its exactly like the previous one M6 with a 2mm hole down the centre ( using 1.75mm filament of course) so with this new part I began testing it again, still the same thing I would push the plastic through by hand and it would come out the nozzle perfectly, but as soon as i stopped and allowed the motor to push it through it would jam, assuming that the filament was just cooling inside and creating a block, so after cleaning my hot end numerous times and trying different things I found a post online about seasoning my hot end with oil this looked like great news for me but no luck at all didn't work, I also find that the heat from the hot end does not disperse very well and find my pneumatic fitting gets quite warm unless I am getting it too hot, I do have a fan blowing on the body constantly whilst the nozzle and heater block do stay a perfect temp.

My main question from all of my drabble is that, should I go back to a jhead with a peek body and let that break on me after 2 months or should I bite the bullet and buy a E3D? or is there any hope for my current all metal hot end.

2jCDSxwl.jpg

Thanks smiling smiley
Re: All Metal Hot End Jamming!!
October 19, 2014 11:34AM
You got a clone, same as I did. Mine the aluminum piece wasn't drill all the way. To make it short, just go to e3d website and purchase a new SS barrel from them.

Anyway all metal hotends will have issues with PLA, polishing and seasoning will help some.
October 19, 2014 07:31PM
I believe that the "throat" you broke was actually the stainless steel heat break. Stainless was used at this one critical location because it is not as good of a conductor of heat as the other metals, so it provides insulation and keeps the melt chamber short. By replacing it with brass, well, I'll let you figure it out.

The next important thing with an E3D is to have a real, high-volume cooling fan on the finned heat sink. If the fan on my real E3Dv5 stops for more than a minute or so, it *will* jam like clockwork. The clone makers seem to forget fan shrouds and fans in their kits, which makes the "bargain" a whole lot less when you have to source/purchase these additional parts.....
October 20, 2014 07:23AM
Wow never thought of it like that!! cheers, I have ordered a new stainless steel throat should be with me tomorrow fingers crossed it should work.
October 25, 2014 05:41PM
Hello,

If you got a genuine J-Head from either [www.hotends.com], or a re-seller, please let me know and I'll replace a broken J-Head. This is the first I've heard of PEEK breaking since I fixed a weak spot almost 2 years ago.

Best Regards,

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login