Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruded filament very stiff

Posted by vlnthing 
Extruded filament very stiff
October 06, 2014 04:18PM
I am printing with a new 1.75mm ABS filament which don't stick to the bed. I tried all the common methods like ABS juice, kapton tape, Masking Tape, Hair Spray etc etc.
My old ABS filament still print very good in the same settings. I even tried various bed / extruder temps, but nothing works.

The problem seems like, the extruded filament don't feel like melted at all.. the moment it comes out of nozzle, it feels like very dried out ( hard like an un-extruded filament ) even before it touches the bed, and it don't stick to the bed. Please suggest me what setting I should try to keep the extruded filament in a melted state so that it will stick. I am using Prusa i3, direct drive extruder, 1.75mm ABS, extruder temp tried from 225 to 260, bed temp from 60 to 80 ( it takes a lot time to increase bed temp above 80 ).

Also, which is a good ABS filament.. the one which breaks when folded or the flexible one. Should a colored ABS filament will still be white inside? Because this new filament is very flexible, don't break when folded ( like my old filament - which is good ) and is white color inside.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 04:29PM by vlnthing.
Re: Extruded filament very stiff
October 06, 2014 05:06PM
That bed temp is a bit low for ABS. I bet some of your issues is from the bed not being hot enough. I print my ABS at 110c bed temp.
If you cant heat it up that high than you have an issue you need to sort out before you continue.
October 06, 2014 05:12PM
Thanks Floyd. But my old filament never had any issue at bed temperature of 60. Do you still think that this is an issue of bed temp? Also, I tried with Kapton, Masking Tape and other such stuff. Thanks !!
October 07, 2014 02:00AM
I agree with Floyd. I print at 115c bed temperature for the first layer, then let it go down to 85 for the remaining print which seems to help with warping. Different filament will have different properties with regards to the hotend temperature needed and possibly the bed temp as well.
October 07, 2014 09:00PM
60C is definitely too low for ABS. However, you have found, like many of us, that different manufacturers have differing quality when it comes to filament. Some are completely useless and end up in the bin. Do like the others suggested and try it at 110C - if it still won't stick then....

Click here to login