Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors arnt working

Posted by theinsainepops 
Motors arnt working
October 05, 2014 07:46PM
Sorry for multiple topics, but the m999 error was resovled it was some of my wiring that was wrong, but for some reason my stepper motors arnt working. Everytime I try to move one I get a high pitched buzzing noise, then a locking noise after about 3 minutes of buzzing and then nothing after. Im using a folger tech i3 kit, and I cant figure out why this is happeneing. Ive treid messing with the pentiometers that just changes the pitch of the buzzing noise and nothing else.. Can someone please help me out ive been stuck on this problem for 3 weeks
Re: Motors arnt working
October 06, 2014 01:30AM
Have you got 3 jumpers fitted under all the Pololu's?

October 06, 2014 02:11AM
I have had a faulty RAMPS board cause this.

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
October 06, 2014 09:25AM
Yes I do have the jumpers all connected. And do you think it might be a nad ramps board? My y axis works just fine and my x axis makes a little bit of movement but z axis dosnt move atall even when I mess with the drivers
October 06, 2014 05:09PM
Have you got acceleration set too high in the firmware?

October 06, 2014 05:58PM
waitaki
Have you got acceleration set too high in the firmware?
how could I check?
October 09, 2014 10:55PM
Look in your marlin firmware,
Its a mixture of DEFAULT_ACCELERATION and DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION and DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION

also while you are there, it would be worth looking at DEFAULT_XYJERK setting, 20 was too high for me, shift print layers because it was moving and jerking too fast. i set to 10

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {78.7402,78.7402,200.0*8/3,760*1.1}  // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {500, 500, 5, 25}    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {9000,9000,100,10000}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          3000    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  3000   // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
// The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
// For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00}  // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK                20.0    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK                 0.4     // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK                 5.0    // (mm/sec)

these are usually to high and cause problems down the line, like shifting prints etc.

if anything, test your motors without a load on them.
and also, if the motors are on the z-axis you need to give it more amps to run 2x motors that are on the 1x driver.

also, dont adjust the steppers with steel tools, or things that carry static.
use an anti static arm band and clip, or just get a ceramic adjusting tool.
you may have shorted out the driver with adjust and getting interferance with static.

but test without a load, and try other stuff before replacing driver.
kits normally come with 5 drivers, so replace it with the spare and you will know if it the problem

Kindest Regards,
October 12, 2014 03:29PM
Alright so my y axis works just fine still but the main problem is my z and x. I think I shorted out my z driver so I asked the company to send me another one. Pretty much my xaxis will move a little bit on every other command I give it. Then it will stop like half way through. My z axis hardley moves and it only moves on the first time I give it the command after the first command it stoos moving
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login