Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis issues

Posted by nerdegutta 
Z axis issues
October 02, 2014 08:39AM
Hi.

I've got a RAMPS 1.4, NEMA 17, 1.75mm ABS, 0.35mm extruder, M8 threaded rods, using Mendel firmware, Pronterface with the latest version of Slic3r.

The X and Y axsis are calibrated correctly, with tutorials, formulas and trial and error.

The Z axis is calibrated the same way as X and Y.

So I'm trying to print this _33x20.stl test print. See picture.

I've tried to change the values in Slic3r, but to no luck. I got an M6 rod here that I can switch with the M8 for the Z axis. Will that help? Looks like there's a pattern.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0417.jpg (67.9 KB)
Re: Z axis issues
October 02, 2014 05:07PM
It looks like you're under extruding and dragging filament back on itself, rather than smooshing down on the previous layer. Have you calibrated your e-steps per mm? If you have, try playing with your extrusion multiplier setting.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 03, 2014 12:17AM
Yes, looks like it. I have calibrated the E-steps. I think it is very strange that the first 3-4 layers are nearly perfect.

I'll play with the extruder multiplier settings.

Thanks!
October 03, 2014 03:40AM
So I've played around with both the firmware and Slic3r. In frimware I check the calibration of the steps for XYZ and E.

All units/steps are OK.

In Slic3r I changed the Extrution multilier from 1 to 6. And I got a fat print. It was ugly. So I changed it back. Thinking that I'm back to sqaure one. The new test print, is just as fat. I then pressed the reset button on the RAMPS and re-started pronterface. Still a fat print.

What's going on?

I sliced the model againg, thinking some of the settings were stored here, but still a fat print....

- nerdegutta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 03:40AM by nerdegutta.
October 03, 2014 09:06AM
This turned out to be ok.

I have all my config settings in config.ini. And when I did some changes in Slic3r, the config file didn't get updated. So I edited it with Notepad. The extruder multiplier setting is now 2.

- nerdegutta
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0418.JPG (34.8 KB)
open | download - DSC_0419.JPG (28.1 KB)
October 04, 2014 03:46AM
Extrusion multiplier should be adjusted by much smaller amounts than that. The ideal value is generally between 0.95 and 1.05. This is assuming your extruder steps/mm is correctly calibrated, and the filament diameter you have set in slic3r matches the filament you are using.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 04, 2014 08:19AM
Oh...

So I'm back to start. sad smiley

- nerdegutta
October 04, 2014 09:05PM
Yes, changing the extrusion multiplier to 6 means it tries to put out 600% of normal. I would try adding in increments of .05 so 1.05.... 1.1....1.15......
October 05, 2014 02:44AM
OK...

I have changed the Extruder Multiplier settings and did 3 prints of the same object.

With this result, first on the left, then second and then third. I was satisfied . There are 3 different settings on each print.

Then I wanted to print this:

And I got this:

Can't say that I nailed it!smiling smiley

Any suggestions?

- nerdegutta
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login