Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bridging advice from experienced Kisslicer users?

Posted by jtoombs 
Bridging advice from experienced Kisslicer users?
September 30, 2014 07:22PM
Hey everybody. I am using Kisslicer and Pronterface for my printer. I want to print a fan duct that has some bridges in it. Specifically the bridges that are located on the circular part of the duct. I'm a little concerned about how Kisslicer will handle these bridges. Here is the Fan duct for reference. I am wondering if I should try to use Kisslicer or just use Slic3r with bridge settings.

Also, should I even be concerned? They seem like relatively short bridges. I just don't wan't it to not properly anchor to the walls and end up as a mess. If I have no reason to worry for this particular print then maybe advice will be helpful for all bridges in general.

I have printed some bridge tests using Kisslicer and they come out okay but with substantial drooping. Has anyone been able to come up with a way to change the settings in Kisslicer to help fix this problem?

Thanks.
Re: Bridging advice from experienced Kisslicer users?
October 01, 2014 05:36PM
Back in the day I printed a very, very similar fan duct. I had some bad bridging then, and it did mess up a lot aesthetically, but it worked just fine.
Bridging with PLA typically works by getting good air flow, and since you're printing a fan duct I assume you're going to print it with PLA. I use an air can when I'm printing a duct and don't already have one. I watch the print and blow when it gets to the point of bridging.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 05:37PM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
October 02, 2014 01:43AM
Thanks for the advice. Do you think a small desk fan or large computer cooling fan would work? Or would these be too large airflow and affect the hot end? I ask this only because this print may take awhile and I don't want to monitor it the whole time it's printing if I don't have to.
October 02, 2014 09:21AM
I've heard of a few people who use large fans, at a few points I used a desktop chassis fan and just set it on the bed in the direction of the print. It worked well in cooling the part, it did cool the hotend. I got around that by raising the temp and letting it start before I let the fan hit the hotend. It was fine after that, and actually printed quite, quite better than the fan duct I used.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
October 03, 2014 10:41AM
Better than the duct you have? Does that mean that this general area cooling works better than a focused airflow just around the nozzle?
October 03, 2014 11:05AM
The problem with standard fans is that they don't have much pressure, just higher air flow. The fan I set to the side was made for faster airflow and did better than a cheaper, dinky fan that had to compress air flow to a small area; AKA it didn't work well. Blower fans work a lot better under higher pressures than standard fans, even if they can't reach the same unrestricted CFM, they'll reach a higher CFM blowing in confined places.
It only worked better because it was larger and wasn't being squeezed in its flow, and with PLA the faster the airflow the better.

So it depends on what you have, really. I plan on getting a nice, large blower fan and concentrating at two opposite points in my new build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login