Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help getting started ABS, i3..

Posted by Younis87 
Need help getting started ABS, i3..
September 26, 2014 07:45PM
OK i recently bought an Prusa i3, this is my first printer!! I made two prints so far... Both came out like 100% crap. My pictures are too large to show my prints but I'm getting warping and layer adhision issues its almost like it completely missed multiple passes, I'm using a 0.4 nozzle @230, and a heated bed @100 sprayed with hair spray. I used Cura witch was set for my i3 and ran the with the default settings the only thing i adjusted was nozzle size and filiment diameter. (1.75)

if you guys could give me some much needed insight and direction that would be sweet please feel free to post you're settings that are yeilding awesome finished products thanks in advanced!

I did not gauge my filament and adjust in Cura,,,

Also, what printing soft softwear should I use Cura is very basic but it works, what would you all recommend?

Im running on a Mac book pro >>>
Re: Need help getting started ABS, i3..
September 27, 2014 03:29AM
To avoid warping when printing ABS, you need to avoid draughts. The fan on your print head needs to cool the back end of the nozzle but not the print; whereas for PLA it is beneficial to cool the print as well. So if your print head is designed to exhaust the cooling air over the print, you need to modify it to exhaust the cooling air above the hot end instead.

Printing with PLA is easier. I suggest you start with PLA and learn how to get good prints with it before moving on to ABS.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 27, 2014 10:51AM
I'm also advising you to start with PLA. I've never had issues with it sticking to blue painters tape.

What I did to figure out what slicing parameters I should be using was I tried to print things that a lot of other people successfully printed on the Thingiverse. Just look for an object with a lot of makes & try to make it. You'll figure out what you need to change based on your failures. I've been pretty successful just googling my failures for troubleshooting. There's also a RepRap troubleshooting guide on the wiki. I've been using Slic3r.

Younis87
OK i recently bought an Prusa i3, this is my first printer!! I made two prints so far... Both came out like 100% crap. My pictures are too large to show my prints but I'm getting warping and layer adhision issues its almost like it completely missed multiple passes, I'm using a 0.4 nozzle @230, and a heated bed @100 sprayed with hair spray. I used Cura witch was set for my i3 and ran the with the default settings the only thing i adjusted was nozzle size and filiment diameter. (1.75)

if you guys could give me some much needed insight and direction that would be sweet please feel free to post you're settings that are yeilding awesome finished products thanks in advanced!

I did not gauge my filament and adjust in Cura,,,

Also, what printing soft softwear should I use Cura is very basic but it works, what would you all recommend?

Im running on a Mac book pro >>>
October 03, 2014 12:32AM
Thank you for the advice!!!! I ordered some PLA and it should be here monday for some test prints!! Also I'm having issues when i do run a print the nozzle and threaded rod/feed gets clogged... How can I avoid this from happening?????????
October 03, 2014 12:33AM
slic3r will not load on my mac sad smiley
October 11, 2014 03:53PM
Ya, Im using an i3 variant, and went through 2kg of PLA thinking i was a pro....then decided to get 1 kg of ABS...yes, im back to feeling like a retard...ive done everything from create a build chamber to completely rebuilding the entire machine, but still cant get it right, as it turns out, i think the ABS is too soft, so the hobbed gear just digs into the fiolament and stops the extrusion..then again, i bought my ABS filament from a china dealer and now am thinking that its very low quality. I dont have any experience with quality ABS so cant say for sure. but i do know that the filament has bits in it that arent ABS, which have caused plugged holes a couple times. Im going out this week to get more PLA. as much as i want to print in ABS, ive spent literally 40 hours over the past 2 weeks trying to get it printing to no avail, so I will keep tinkering to see if I can get the ABS printing, but want the PLA so i can relax and actually get some stuff printed...promised my sone a cool "Borderlands Psycho" mask for haloween, and am now nervous that I wont have time to get it finished...PLA, all the way....

....Ill also mention, im using Mattercontrol...i got Repierhost with my machine, but was never able to get it connected to the printer, where mattercontrol was pretty straight forward...its a prett6y basic program, but again, if you just want the satisfaction of getting some stuff printed out, I recommend mattercontrol for sure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 03:55PM by llotek.
May 11, 2015 08:29AM
If you want something simple to print, we did a nice skull for haloween this year smiling smiley

May 11, 2015 04:16PM
I'm running an I3 on a mack book pro and apart from ribbing (thing my ship has disintegrated) I'm printing ABS on a glass heatbed covered in Kapton tape and ABS sludge
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login