Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

i3 prusa not printing like it says it is

Posted by dano9573 
i3 prusa not printing like it says it is
September 12, 2014 03:10PM
Hello all, total newbie here, excuse any mispellings or ignorant statements. Hopefully this is the right area to post this.

I am attempting to finalize the build for a Prusa i3 kit from DIY Tech shop, Ramps 1.4, marlin and pronterface. I have preconfigured Marlin installed and confirmed that all parts work. Appear to have done all software, firmware correctly. I have been able to move, home all motors, exturde the correct amount of filament, all the basic calibration stuff. All seems to work fine. For the most part all has gone well, including the learning curve, however I have arrived at the point that the printer should be printing the test, calibration parts and I cannot get it to print. I have however had issue with setting the z axis endstop and getting the hot end close enough to the bed. That I think I just need more practice at or better instructions.

I used slicer to generate the gcode seperate from pronterface and then uploaded the gcode file, hit print and nothing happens. The feed back in pronterface says that it is printing but nothing is happening. Then at some point a few minutes later the printer does a weird juke and jive like it's going home and then stops again. Nothing prints though. On one attempt the printer did appear to be trying to print something but the hot end was too far up, my bad for not having it correct, but the printer just seemed to be going back in forth in one spot anyways so not sure it would have actually printed the correct thing other than to make a blob that should have been a box.

Have no clue what to do from here. I have scoured the forums and google and am no closer to printing than I was. I'm sure there is alot more info needed to decipher my current mess.

Any one have any ideas or had this happen to them, am I missing a step somewhere? Troubleshooting help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: i3 prusa not printing like it says it is
September 12, 2014 03:25PM
Attach the first section of the gcode so we can see it.
September 12, 2014 03:33PM
Ok, I can do that after work. Sorry wasn't expecting such a quick response. I will post it as soon as I am able.
Thank you!
September 12, 2014 05:39PM
I was able to get the g-code file, here is the first part of it as requested.

; generated by Slic3r 1.0.0RC2 on 2014-09-11 at 23:16:17

; layer_height = 0.3
; perimeters = 3
; top_solid_layers = 3
; bottom_solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.4
; perimeter_speed = 30
; infill_speed = 60
; travel_speed = 130
; nozzle_diameter = 0.4
; filament_diameter = 1.75
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.42mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.80mm

G21 ; set units to millimeters
M107
M190 S115 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
M104 S225 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
M109 S225 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G92 E0
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G1 F1800.000 E-1.00000
G92 E0
G1 Z0.400 F7800.000
G1 X84.440 Y84.290 F7800.000
G1 E1.00000 F1800.000
G1 X85.260 Y83.600 E1.12728 F540.000
G1 X85.440 Y83.470 E1.15365
G1 X86.010 Y83.100 E1.23436
G1 X86.810 Y82.700 E1.34058
G1 X87.730 Y82.360 E1.45707
G1 X87.940 Y82.300 E1.48301
G1 X88.700 Y82.130 E1.57550
G1 X89.480 Y82.050 E1.66862
September 12, 2014 06:31PM
Ok, so normally what would happen when you start the print would be it would first start heating the bed and you won't see anything else happen until the bed reaches temperature which might take 10 min or more. Then it will home all the axes and raise the z by 5mm, and then wait for the hot end to get heated up to temperature. Once that is done, then it will start actually moving to the initial position and start printing.
September 12, 2014 06:44PM
I was thinking that was maybe the issue however the heat bead and hot end were already at temp. Does that make a difference? I had been doing tests to make sure the thermistors were reading correctly and that the temps would stabilize and that I could actually extrude plastic prior to uploading the g code, and all the tests seemed fine. Got the correct filament feed from the extruder, it was a little hot so turned it down a little but it worked fine. So there shouldn't have been much time lag there correct?
The print did not start really at all, it just did a juke and jive motion after a few minutes and then sat idle all the while telling me it was printing, then said it was done. Could it be the motors aren't calibrated right? They seem to be but if the current isn't enough would that stop it from printing yet allow it to still say it's printing? They seem to move fine, no stutter and not to fast and I know the figures are correct at this point, but maybe not enough current, turn the trim pots up or down maybe? I just don't know where to begin at this point because I have followed every step to the "T" as far as I can tell. And can't find much specific about this particular issue. Most issue's have to do with something not working but still being able to print, just need to calibrate or tidy up the marlin file, I just can't figure what I missed. Or maybe I didn't wait long enough? But as I stated it was up to temp prior to the gcode upload. Stumped.
Thank you for responding....
September 12, 2014 07:53PM
Yeah, if the bed and extruder were already to temp, then when you start the print, it would immediately home and then start printing.

You said you are using preconfigured marlin? You mean the one supplied from DIYTechShop? I also bought an i3Alpha from them, but never used their marlin. I got the current version of marlin from github and started with that.

It could possibly be your speed settings in marlin. Your gcode is trying to move the axes at a very high speed "F7800". If your firmware is not limiting the speed then it might just be too much for the motors to do anything. Pronterface could be using completely different speed values when you manually move stuff around and that may be why you don't have a problem doing that.

What do you have in the following defines in Configuration.h?

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION
September 13, 2014 12:09AM
Here is the settings.

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 45}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,3333}
September 13, 2014 02:00AM
Your acceleration looks too high. Here are the settings I'm currently using. Don't know if they are optimal, but they work well.

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {1000, 1000, 2, 1500}    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {600,600,20,333}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, 
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          600    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  333   // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts
September 15, 2014 06:01PM
Ok thank you, I will give that a try.

I also discovered another issue, the little brass hot end is not staying tight when the head is at temperature. it is loose and wobbles around, however it's tight when the hot end is not heated up. Which is another issue to deal with. Anyone have any experience with that issue?

Sure wish the kits were a little better made, this is frustrating. This has been fun but feel I should be printing already and have not been able to, so just getting more frustrated!
September 16, 2014 12:00AM
The first extruder body that came with the printer was warped on the bottom (not the part that would have been contacting the bed when it was printed though?) and I had to file a lot just to get the little brass to fit in there. They sent me a replacement which was better. In both cases, though, I didn't see the issue you are describing.
September 18, 2014 03:11PM
When you say file, are you referring to filing the top of the brass fitting? How much did you file down? I took it all apart and rebuilt it and noticed that the brass hot end will not screw all the way in to the plastic cold end. Is that a case where I should file it down so it inserts all the way? there is about a 1.5 mm gap between the head of it and the bottom of the cold end plastic part.
September 19, 2014 06:55AM
No, I was talking about filing the bottom of the extruder body, not anything on the hotend itself.
November 02, 2014 11:40AM
I'm also new to all of this and bought the prusai3 kit from diy tech shop. I'm having trouble
with the config h file because I don't know what I have for related parts. The hot end came at a different
time then the rest of the kits no paper work. I also don't have a clue about the hot bed either, it can be wire either for 12v or 24 v.
I just need some basic settings to get it to move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login