Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Problems

Posted by fredspartan104 
Extruder Problems
September 11, 2014 11:20PM
Ok, I am currently having a problem printing. I had one successful print then after that I can only get about 20% done before my hot end jams up. Any ideas? I have a fan to keep the cold end of the Hot end from over heating. and have tried slowing the stepper down.

Current Setup:
RAMPS 1.4
Bulldog XL
Merlin hot end

Looking at buying a new hotend to see if that is the problem.

-Fred
Re: Extruder Problems
September 12, 2014 01:56AM
Hi. What speed are you printing at and at what temperature?
Re: Extruder Problems
September 18, 2014 01:01PM
I've struggled with jams a lot. For PLA, I finally got it working using a J-head Mk V-BV. I run it no higher than 165C, with the fan always on. I'm also very careful not to get the nozzle too close to the bed.

In my opinion, temperature is the biggest factor. If you cook the plastic too hot, I think it burns, and leaves residue inside the nozzle. If that happens even once, you'll have problems forever after, unless you really clean it out well.

The fan is also a big factor. If heat creeps up the nozzle, it can soften the upper plastic, which makes it weak and gummy: more friction, less rigidity means it can't push.

My policy is prevention. Unclogging jams (see below) is a pain, and should never have to happen. I build settings directly into Marlin so that, no matter what happens, the printer cannot exceed a certain temperature (for me, I only print PLA and limit it at 170C). I also have Marlin turn the fan on at startup so I can't forget. I can always turn it off, but by default, it's on.

To unjam:
1. Heat up the nozzle to the melting temperature.
2. Push the filament in by manually turning the extruder gear by hand, until the fresh filament contacts the clogging material.
3. Wait for the fresh filament to bond to the clogging material.
4. Cool the nozzle all the way down to room temperature.
5. Heat up the nozzle to 40C less than melting temperature.
6. Gently pull the filament out by manually turning the extruder gear by hand. If it won't turn easily, stop immediately. Raise the temperature 5C and try again. Repeat until it's easy to remove.
7. Pull the filament all the way out and inspect the tip. If it's stringy or jagged, you did not successfully remove the clogging material. Try again from step 1. If you see a little point on the end that looks exactly like the inside of a nozzle, you got all of it.

Sometimes, especially with ABS, you can have a partial jam - in this case, you can still print, but the filament does not come out at full speed, or it struggles. Eventually, it will clog completely. Make sure to always unclog jams completely, and do not optimistically keep printing if you're having weird prints. It will not go away, it will only get worse. ABS jams are similar, but more subtle.

If you want a jam-free material, you can try some exotic stuff like taulman's Nylon, but be warned: I don't trust the smell. They say there's no fumes; I disagree.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login