Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Missing layers and infill

Posted by multitronic 
Missing layers and infill
September 11, 2014 03:36AM
Good day

I have a weird issue with my extruder where a layer will be missing in a random area of a print. It's like it's missed a step or two and less filament was extruded for that layer. My top infill is also missing in some areas.

The printer is a Prusa i3 with 0.4mm J-head printing at 0.3mm layer height at approximately 185 Celsius at a speed of 30mm/sec. The only change made was the hobbed bolt as my home-made version was wearing down. I have re-calculated the e-steps and checked the extrusion length.

The first ~70% of the test print looks okay and then the issues present themselves.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I'm using 3mm PLA and have set the filament thickness in Slic3r to 2.85mm. That was my average for the roll of filament that I'm using. Multiplier is set to 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2014 04:27AM by multitronic.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140911_070102.jpg (469.2 KB)
open | download - 20140911_070408.jpg (492.7 KB)
Re: Missing layers and infill
September 11, 2014 04:50PM
Hey!

I was a same problem too. İt is a extruder motor current problem. Measure the your stepper motor driver amps. absolutely current problem my friend.

Custom 3D Printer,

Mechanical Engineer
Re: Missing layers and infill
September 12, 2014 01:43AM
Hey. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll double check that. It turned out to be an issue with my hobbed bolt. The gaps between some teeth were filled with filament, probably from when i was extruding and reversing while checking e-steps. With that cleared it's printing much better. Now I can get back to fine-tuning.

The attached picture shows yesterday's print on the left and the latest on the right.
Attachments:
open | download - 20140912_073210.jpg (502 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login