Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simplify3D Creator software

Posted by halfentity 
Simplify3D Creator software
September 09, 2014 04:10PM
Hi to all,

I have recently purchased an Ultimaker 2 printer and even if it comes with Cura as a default printing software I have found out that it's not good enough for overhangs/supports and slicing. After a few reviews on the internet I purchase Simplify3D creator and started to work on it for models that need manual supports. All good, great software until I actually need to print something. The .gcode generated by Simplify3D does not make my printer feeder work so the nozzle movement is there but no material is coming out. It's surely not a hardware issue as everything exported from Cura or Meshmixer prints just fine. Support from Simplify3D was prompt but not good enough. They sent me a .fff process that I can print with but no explanation on settings I need to change for the exported .gcode to work and for the printer to actually print. I also can't believe that a $140 software does not let you export the work you have done in an .stl or .obj. It has the "export" option but without any supports you have done.

Can you please help? Is there any way to export an .stl from Simplify3D after you have worked on it? Or, is there any particular settings I should change so the printer feeder can move and release material ? I tried extrusion multiplier to 1.25 or 1.30 but nothing significant happened.

Thanks.
Vlad
Re: Simplify3D Creator software
September 09, 2014 04:39PM
You need to select the Ultimaker 2 profile inside Simplify3D under "Edit Process Settings" this should set it up perfect for your printer. If that fails, then you should contact Simplify3D support. There should be no reason you can't use it with your printer without work arounds.
September 09, 2014 05:01PM
Already done that. I selected Ultimaker 2 as my printer first time I installed the software so this is surely not the issue. I also contacted Simplify3D support and the answer was "I have attached the fff profile setting for the UltiMaker 2 that should have the same settings I sent you. The main changes in this profile is the amount of filament extruded in the beginning of a print has been increased, and the extrusion multiplier has been increased as well to 1.25 to get a better flow rate. You can import the fff file by clicking the Edit Process Settings button, and in the FFF Settings window, click the import button".

I've used their .fff process but with no succes. I need to know what are the exact changes I need to make so the material flows better.

Also, is there any way to export the modified .stl with all the supports? If yes, I can import it in Cura and use the .gcode created by Cura.

Thanks for your time.
September 18, 2014 12:52PM
Go to the machine control panel and be sure to select the right tool, I have had the same issue with a different printer and that solved my problems. Most likely your fff profile conflict with the actual tool used on the g-code generated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login