Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Collapsed vertical corners at 0.1mm layer

Posted by mi 
mi
Collapsed vertical corners at 0.1mm layer
September 05, 2014 05:06PM
Hi everyone,

I have just built a Mendel90 (awesome piece of equipment) and now I'm learning how to achieve the best results with it. Perhaps you'll know what causes this issue I'm having -- attached is a picture of a 10mm cube printed with 0.1mm layers; all of its corners are collapsed. I'm seeing a similar effect on the seam corner of a cube printed at 0.3mm, hard to say if it's related though.

Any ideas? A quick search taught me a lot about raised corners, not much about collapsed ones though.
Attachments:
open | download - collapsed-corners.jpg (27.7 KB)
Re: Collapsed vertical corners at 0.1mm layer
September 05, 2014 05:15PM
It looks like you're under-extruding the and the tension in the filament is dragging your corners back toward the center. This may also happen if your extrusion width is lower than your nozzle diameter. You want your filament squeezed out and smooshed down, not dragged along.

If this is PLA, I'd also suggest directing a cooling fan at the print.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
mi
September 05, 2014 05:27PM
Might be the case -- I had limited the extruder feed rate based on how well the 100% infill 0.3mm layer cube turned out and the value I got was quite lower than what I got earlier with the standard "extrude 100mm of filament and check how much was actually fed" calibration method. I'll try increasing E_STEPS_PER_MM and see if it makes it better. Thanks!

Oh, and it's ABS -- forgot to mention that, sorry.
October 26, 2014 12:25PM
Been having the same issue. Going to look at this and see if I can fix it!

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login