Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

missing steps

Posted by papakel 
missing steps
August 25, 2014 01:57PM
Hi all, I am having problems printing gears for a universal paste extruder downloaded from thingiverse. The body printed perfectly but the gears do print but all have missing teeth. Looking at the STL file with Netfab the pictures look perfect with all teeth clearly visible. I have tried slicing the STL with Kislicer and with slic3r and I cannot get the teeth to print without gaps of up to six or eight teeth missing in one place on the circumference . Could this be due to print speeds being too high and causing missing steps to both X and Y axes?. I must add, that I have printed gears before although they were a much coarser tooth and they printed fine.
Re: missing steps
August 25, 2014 02:36PM
Very much so. Gear teeth require a lot of short movements. If you are printing too fast, this would be a prime spot for losing steps.

Have you been monitoring these prints? I can tell audibly when steps are missed. There is usually a loud bang.
Re: missing steps
August 27, 2014 03:50AM
Hi all, thanks to jbernardis for his valuable input. I found the answer after downloading a 3d printer simulator and running the gcode (produced with Kislicer), it became obvious that the missing teeth were due to missing gcode, so after spending time wading through the finer settings of slic3r I created yet another set of gcode and bingo the whole set of gears complete with a full set of teeth printed first time.

thanks to all out there
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login