Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printed part not the same as stl

Posted by nefiwashere 
printed part not the same as stl
August 25, 2014 09:34AM
Having an issue where my printed part is nor the same as the stl model. I have been able to print successfully several times but there are certain larger parts that I try to print and they come out malformed.

The part that is printing will print fine but just on one specific side is where the issue happens. Rest of part prints fine. I have changed the orientation of the part on the print bed and still the same issue in the same spot of the part.

What i do notice is that on the side that part is being printed is not the same as the stl model and it also seems that it keeps extruding more filament than is necessary. Adds filament and traveling back adds more. So eventually the nozzle will start to drag through the print on that specific side. There's is no problem with the rest of the print.

Thanks for the help

pictures

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 09:54AM by nefiwashere.
Re: printed part not the same as stl
August 25, 2014 11:44AM
That looks to me like you need retraction. Do you have it turned on, and what are the settings?
August 25, 2014 03:27PM
It looks like you've hit the physical limits of your print bed (or at least what the firmware thinks are the physical limits). Instead of continuing the line of the arc on your piece, it's only moving in one axis because it thinks the other axis is off the print bed. This would also account for why it's laying down too much plastic.

What's your printer? Do you use Marlin firmware? If so, can you check the size of the print bed in your firmware settings? Also check the gcode in a gcode viewer to see if it looks the way you expect it to print - this will tell you whether it's a slicer of firmware issue.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
August 27, 2014 10:03AM
it was the firmware. it came with the 8" in version and i have the 10". once i updated it all was good.
August 27, 2014 04:32PM
hi, thank you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login