Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Infill problems

Posted by PartTimeRepRaper 
Infill problems
August 23, 2014 01:43AM
Hi,

i nearly finished building my first printer.
the Thinwall test was okay, wall dimensions fit, and my first testcubes got the exact measures.

But I am having problems with my extruder :/
I use a wades bowden setup, I calibrated the extruder so he prints exactly 100mm of filament when told to.
But before I start printing I always have to extrude some filament by hand otherwise the there will be no filament coming out the nozzle for the first ~20cm of the print.
After that the perimeter is printed "okay", but the infill looks like in the picture:

I tried to enhance the extrusion multi, but nothing got better.
I tried to increase the printing temperature, .... nothing again.
If I try to push the filament by hand, it is easy to push it into the hotend, and extrude hot filament, so I don't think the hotend is jammed.
Re: Infill problems
August 23, 2014 05:38PM
Try tightening down the guilder on the extruder - it may be there's not enough tension there to allow the hobbed bolt to grip properly.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
August 28, 2014 04:05AM
i don't know what to do any more.

I changed to an direct drive airtripper extruder.
When printing slow, like the perimeter everything is okay, single wall test is okay.
If i print very slow it looks "okay", but as soon as i increase the speed to 60mm/s or more it starts to look like if there is not extruded enough material.

tried to increase the temperature ... 210°C at the moment, if i increase the temperature the PLA starts to change its colour.
tried to increase the extrusion multiplier ..... but then the perimeters get too much material :/

any ideas.
August 28, 2014 05:02AM
Maybe the temperature is actually too high ?

Otherwise you could have some problems with your slicer software settings... What are you using ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
August 28, 2014 01:00PM
I tried slicer and cura.

played around with the settings a little, it got better and it got worse :/ but no real "beauty"
i attached my slicer config.
Attachments:
open | download - Slic3r_config_bundle.ini (3.2 KB)
August 31, 2014 02:59AM
Hi,

here another update,
it started to get better, i changed my extruder to a DD one (Airtripper)

And now the quality is even better, but i still have some strange problems as you can see in the picture.
Beside the Z-Wobble i am working on at the moment, you can see holes in the upper perimeter :/

but i have now holes in the lower perimeters, and as you can see on the picture also not on the side walls

any hints?
August 31, 2014 12:49PM
Hello,

For what I can see from the picture, you most likely need to do 2 things: reduce your speed a little and increase the top solid shells. The faster you wanna print, the hotter you need to go and the extrusion needs to be adjusted to supply the demands.

Regards.
August 31, 2014 12:57PM
Do you have a laser point thermometer? Point it at your heater block and check your real temperature, you might think you're extruding at one temperature but reality can be something else. I usually extruder PLA at 225 because of that.
August 31, 2014 01:08PM
One last thing, what size nozzle are you using? I have found that small size nozzles don't like fast speeds. So the smaller the nozzle the lower speed you need to use to get good results.

For those types of parts I use 0.5 size and print at 50 mm per second, trying to go faster than that will reduce the quality of the print.
September 01, 2014 01:02AM
sorry mispost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 01:03AM by mantus.
September 01, 2014 01:04AM
i am using a 0.4mm nozzle.
And thanks i will try all your sugestions and than post another print.
I do not have an IR thermo, but i think i can lend one.
September 08, 2014 03:01PM
laser pointer therm measurements will come tomorrow.
but trying to increase the temperature made the problems even worse, now to top layer has huge holes, it is possible to fill the entire part with water.

i stopped the print after the 2. closing layer at the top so that i am able to get a picture of the 1. and 2. closing layer.
as you can see its horrible :/

any ideas? looks to me like i would extrude far to less pla, but the thinwall test was okay :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 03:16PM by PartTimeRepRaper.
September 09, 2014 07:31AM
looks like retraction problem. Try different retrack options my friend. And "retrack only layer change" must be check, do not check the wipe option.

Also check your x and y axes calibrations.

Any last one is, check your extrusion multiplayer. probably this 3 solutions will solve your problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 07:35AM by RDEng.

Custom 3D Printer,

Mechanical Engineer
September 09, 2014 07:45AM
i am not sure what you mean.

But he should not retract, he should create an solide layer there
What you see on the picture is the 1. and the 2. solide layer of the 3 closing layer.

at first i thought i am extruding to hot, so i reduced the temperature to 195° without any change to the print :/
September 10, 2014 11:42PM
How are you adjusting the steps/mm (pushing code or eeprom)? What firmware are you using?

I would experiment with the flow multiplier during a print, you should see results pretty quickly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login