Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heatbed Heating Problem

Posted by bhoke 
Heatbed Heating Problem
August 15, 2014 06:26AM
Hi all,

I ordered Prusa i3 Rework from Emotion Tech 1 months ago I have no problem with printing PLA, but when I am trying to reach my heatbed temperature to 120 C, because it does not stick to surface while printing ABS below 120C. However, it heats too slowly after 100 C. I measured the current and voltage of heatbed and it was 8.5A and 11.5V. Image of my power supply is below (It has no +5V output).

How can I increase current to 10 Amps?

What should I change to stick ABS on surface? (I tried Kapton tape)

If I use hairspray on it, can I print PLA on it?

Thanks for your replies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 06:30AM by bhoke.
Re: Heatbed Heating Problem
August 15, 2014 11:11AM
You wouldn't want to risk messing with that power supply. The wire in it is a little small. To try and increase the amps will risk overheating the wires.

To get the ABS to stick better, make sure you are cleaning the surface with acetone. Kapton tape will hold finger oils the same as glass. If you're using things like hairspray, glue stick, or ABS juice, Just printing on clean glass will suffice.
Re: Heatbed Heating Problem
August 15, 2014 05:43PM
On my setup, my bed can't get above 80 degrees C before the thermal fuse kicks it offline. That said, I found I didn't need to get it any higher anyway.

I've been reading about various enclosures and keeping the heat up around the print job for the duration for ABS. Not wanting to go through all the work without knowing that it will work, I simply pointed a small heater across the bed and used a wireless BBQ Thermometer hanging off the top of my I3 frame, hanging in the area of the print.

By maintaining 95 degrees I run the bed at 80 degress and shut it down after the 1st layer. This totally solved my issues with the corners curling up and prints coming free. Actually, it solved all of my issues that weren't related to mechanicals...

95 degrees is pretty modest. I'm going to be moving my electonics off of the frame and then build a frame around the printer and use some magnets and plastic panels to enclose the thing. I will probably heat it with a termostat and a light bulb. If I get in a hurry, I can "prime" it with a hair dryer.

The heater sometimes got up to 130 degrees and I wound up distorting my x-carriage so if you try that...make sure you're switching it on an off so it doesn't get too hot.

Oh...I'm generally printing on a single layer of blue tape. Not required but it's usually on my glass from PLA printing and I've found no reason to take it off for ABS... Bare glass will leave a smoother finish if that's desired...

Conversely, I've solved most of my PLA printing problem with just a 12" box fan blowing across the printer..exact opposite solution...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 05:47PM by ltklein.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login