Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange behavior after suspected short circuit

Posted by tallguy7 
Strange behavior after suspected short circuit
August 10, 2014 08:27AM
Hi all,
I was very exited after building a Prusa i3, my first printer, and accidentally touched something i wasn't meant to with a screwdriver while adjusting the voltage on one of the pololus and suddenly all the motors stopped moving. I thought if it was a short it would be just the motor i was adjusting that would not be working but all of them do nothing when my printer is on and the test code from the wiki is uploaded. The strangest part is when i turn the power supply off, for about half a second all the motors move. Another thing that im not sure is normal is when the power supply is turned on i am unable to connect to the printer, but i can when it is off. Luckily i have one spare pololu and i tested it with only it and 1 motor connected and still no movement. The heated bed works normally as well as the extruder heater.I have read RAMPS 1.4 which i am using has re-settable fuses, do i have to reset them or are they self resetting? (if so it has been about an hour and a half since this happened so is it possible the 5A fuse has not reset yet?)
Thanks in advance,
A very confused first time reprapper
Re: Strange behavior after suspected short circuit
August 10, 2014 07:47PM
This is such a common problem because metal screwdrivers on Pololus are always an accident waiting to happen.
Sounds like maybe the Arduino is damaged - you would need to dismount it from the Ramps to inspect it.

August 11, 2014 06:56AM
I have tested the arduino without RAMPS and all works normally, i also checked the voltage regulator which is fine.
I checked the fuses on RAMPS and they are not tripped. I suspect something on the 5A circuit has gone wrong since everything that works is on the 11A.
August 11, 2014 07:14AM
i think when i shorted the stepper i hit the top of the pins for VCC and GND, which are connected to the 5A circuit. I have just looked at a schematic of RAMPS and found diode D2 is the likely cause and after testing i found current is able to flow both ways through the diode. would this cause the problems i am having and if so what can i do to fix it?

August 12, 2014 08:40PM
Cutting D1 and replacing D2 fixed it!
August 13, 2014 01:44AM
I was about to suggest the diode but good on you for checking it out already!

Click here to login