Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated end clogging

Posted by domtropen 
Heated end clogging
August 10, 2014 07:57AM
So I have built my prusa i2 without a hitch. After some testing and examing the heat bed, I have realized that that printing desn't really function because the heated end coninuosly clogs. The only way it actaully printer properly is if I push the filament. I'm using PLA and the recommended settings on pronterface to print. Suggestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 07:58AM by domtropen.
Re: Heated end clogging
August 10, 2014 06:03PM
Check to make sure your extruder is working right and putting out enough pressure.

If that is good, try increasing the temp and see if it starts to flow properly. Don't go too high as to nuke your hot end, but raise it a bit and see if it starts getting better. If so, then your numbers are just off. Temp readings from one printer to another can be off, thermistors vary as does how firmware reads it. Even your wire length can throw things off a bit.
August 10, 2014 11:53PM
i know it pushes and pulls the extrusion but I know it is the hot end i may just push the temp(atm i press it out at 190c), but how would i measure the pressue the extrusion it puts out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 11:57PM by domtropen.
August 11, 2014 11:05AM
Put some cooking oil in the hotend. PLA is sugar and it can stick to the metal causing clogs.
August 11, 2014 04:23PM
I notitced that its actually leaking through the threads where the hot end and the pfte tub meet, is that even supposed to happen?? I will add cooking oil and see what happens next!

EDIT: THe cooking oil literally lets the pla fly out! Good idea! Now if there was a way to have it self lubricated....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 12:57AM by domtropen.
August 12, 2014 11:39AM
I have some olive oil in a drip bottle and keep a supply of cotton balls with the printer. I put 2-3 drops on a cotton ball and run it up the PLA before it enters the extruder. Olive oil doesn't burn at the temps we run and will flow with the plastic. Some other oils may collect an boil in your hot end and cause bubbles.

I wouldn't change the oil your using unless you see bubbles in your prints...just a heads up so you know it if you see it.

I'm using an E3D V5 all-metal hot end with my PLA and that is the only method I could use to keep it extruding consistently.

I'm using 205 degrees on the 1st layer and 200 for the rest of the print...

I had given up on PLA with this hot end until I tried the olive oil.

Now that leakage you have is a bad thing and you'll want to work that out. That plastic will tend to grab the PLA as it flows thru your head leading to clogs. 100% of the PLA should be contained and flow out thru the head.

If you get that sorted out, you may not even need the oil...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 11:42AM by ltklein.
August 12, 2014 11:03PM
The oil thing worked like a charm! Thanks! I used olive oil(I hate vegatable oil)
I asked the seller, they seem to have a good handle on what they are working with, they suggested that I use Seal fat or threaded but I have no idea what that is.

Now to fix that leaking issue..
August 14, 2014 09:41AM
I am having the same issue with ABS...will olive oil work for this? Can you suggest any other solutions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login