Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First 10 layers fine then things get messy

Posted by Mickoz 
First 10 layers fine then things get messy
August 09, 2014 12:07AM
Howdy All,

I hope someone can help, I'm not sure what to tweak.

My first 10 - 15 layers look great and have good adhesion to my bed and no warping but after the first layers, things get a little furred up. The prints are still useable and are the right size.

I have a Prusa i3 box frame, .4mm E3D, 3mm ABS. Printing at 240 for all layers, heatbed first layer 115 then dropping to 110 for subsequent layer, no cooling fan

My print looks like this

Any ideas?
Re: First 10 layers fine then things get messy
August 09, 2014 02:32AM
240 may be a bit much. Try dropping your temp. to 220-230. Each filament manufacturer and each color has their sweet spot. You just have to play around with it to find it. You can print an arbitrary object and change temps every XX many layers and compare them within that object.

Does is make a popping noise when printing? If so that could be moisture build up.
August 09, 2014 03:40AM
No popping noise. I will adjust hotend temps as suggested and see how it goes.

Thanks

Mick
August 10, 2014 02:03AM
Also 85c is now considered a good heated bed temperature. I print ABS at 230c and that photo looks like to much material is getting extruded. What is your extrusion multiplier set at? Should be 1 but you can try lower numbers.
August 10, 2014 10:02PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input. It looks like tmorris9 was on the money. I have set my extrusion multiplier to .95 and am now getting good results. I don't understand why I need to because my extruder extrudes exactly the right length of filament and I have measured the diameter across several metres and placed the avg in my filament size. Whatever works is good though smiling smiley

Regards

Mick
August 11, 2014 06:23AM
Hey Mick, follow the link below to fine tune your extruder. Despite what is actually measured, there is no test like a real world test.

[solidoodletips.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 06:28AM by waitaki.

Click here to login