Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How pronounced are the effects from moisture?

Posted by C0rpse 
How pronounced are the effects from moisture?
August 08, 2014 01:24PM
I just built a Ultibots Kossel a couple weeks ago. I am using their Goldenrod Yellow 3mm filament. My extruder (Ultibots Microextruder) has always ground my filament, but still managed to print well. Now its completely stripping the filament unless I have the temperature up at 245C. Its still not flowing properly at this temperature.

I think it might be moisture. I live in south Florida, and it has been raining every day. The filament hasn't swollen at all though. I checked with a caliper.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How high can I take my hotends.com j-head? I have read very mixed reviews, but at least two people have said they printed ABS at 260C, and I have read that printing moisture laden ABS at a higher temp will help.
Re: How pronounced are the effects from moisture?
August 08, 2014 11:21PM
I have several suggestions. some or all may be useless though-
I looked at hotends,com > J-head and it said 247c is tops. At 248 it melts. Since youre running real close to that maybe its already damaged
I live in central FL and I have yet to notice significant issues with moisture and ABS printing indoors. I did have the machine out in the garage a while back and would hear and occasional steam pop (too friggin hot out there). I have been squirting an ABS/carbon blend at 265c through a .2 orifice for the last month or so, same spool, exposed, hanging on the machine the whole time and prints are just fine- no extrusion troubles. My prints are always somewhat small (fit inside a cigarette pack) so maybe moisture issues don't manifest at that size.
-How fast are you trying to print?
-if you hold the drive stationary can you pull the filament back out easily? if so then that's where I would suspect the issue to be. If its hard to pull out then a form of resistance further down the line is here I would look.
-if you raise the head a few inches up and manually extrude some filament what does it measure? if its smaller than the nozzle (like .3mm) then maybe its clogged
-try a different filament
August 09, 2014 08:40AM
Sounds like another J-head meltdown in progress to me. Just say no to PEEK.....
August 17, 2014 02:43PM
Did you ever get this resolved? Please email support )at(ulti botsdotcom for help.

- Brad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login