Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tip clearance

Posted by ntar827 
Tip clearance
August 06, 2014 11:22AM
I have a OneUp printer with a 0.4mm nozzle diameter and 1.75 mm diameter filament.

What is a good tip to bed clearance to strive for?

Thanks

Nick
Re: Tip clearance
August 06, 2014 12:12PM
With my .4mm tip I print at .3mm height for fast prints and .2mm for detailed prints.
Ive gone down to .1mm but honestly .2 looks fine and takes a bit less time to make the part.
August 06, 2014 08:34PM
ntar827
I have a OneUp printer with a 0.4mm nozzle diameter and 1.75 mm diameter filament.

What is a good tip to bed clearance to strive for?

Thanks

Nick

Are you talking about the nozzle to bed calibration? If so, then 0.1mm is your target - a piece of 80gsm copy paper should drag lightly under the nozzle when its homed and printer is up to temp.

August 07, 2014 11:49PM
I had a question similar to this and i am very new to 3d printing. I have a makerfarm i3v10 with the .4mm Hexagon nozzle and i am not getting a good squish on my first layer. You can see a gap between the lines on the first few layers and im getting some pretty bad warping with ABS(using hairspray as adhesive). These are my settings for the first layers in Slic3r.
First layer height: .4mm
First layer speed: 30mm
First layer extrusion width: 200%

I am set dead on at .1mm bed to nozzle using feeler gauges. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
August 08, 2014 12:44AM
Set your layer height to .3mm and see how that goes.
Also, dead on 0.1mm is pretty good but can you drag a piece of paper under it with some resistance? (i.e. about 0.08mm)

August 08, 2014 08:35AM
jaredb03
First layer height: .4mm
First layer speed: 30mm
First layer extrusion width: 200%

Having a .4mm layer with a .4mm tip is going to give you issues. Try bringing it down to .3mm atleast.
August 08, 2014 05:21PM
I tried .3 today and it still isn't smashing that filament down. Should i try .2?
August 08, 2014 06:29PM
Ok so i have tried .3 and .2. here is what the bottom of the print looks like. I don't believe i have changed any settings on the LCD panel but its possible i guess. Anything i should check the settings of?
Attachments:
open | download - 20140808_171052.jpg (597.7 KB)
August 09, 2014 03:27AM
Have you calibrated your extruder?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2014 03:47AM by waitaki.

August 10, 2014 01:23AM
I calibrated the extruder and it was pretty darn close but made a slight adjustment. I just decided to use my eyes to place the nozzle distance and pretty much crammed it down as low as i could get it without it dragging accross the bed. Seemed to help but still not what i expect for the first layer. I had a Da Vinci printer for a short period of time before it broke and its first layer printed out like a solid piece with no gaps at all.
August 10, 2014 01:46AM
If that photo is the bottom of the print then it looks like either you changed the nozzle size under Printer Settings, Extruder 1 / Nozzle Diameter.

Or the extrusion multiplier under Filament Settings / Filament / extrusion multiplier (should normally be set to 1)

Or check Print Settings / Advanced and see if the Extrusion width has been messed with (normally all set to 0 for default).
August 10, 2014 08:02PM
jaredb03
I calibrated the extruder and it was pretty darn close but made a slight adjustment. I just decided to use my eyes to place the nozzle distance and pretty much crammed it down as low as i could get it without it dragging accross the bed. Seemed to help but still not what i expect for the first layer. I had a Da Vinci printer for a short period of time before it broke and its first layer printed out like a solid piece with no gaps at all.

I just looked at the pic you posted before - looks very strange as if you have no solid bottom layers, only infill? The lines are like waveforms as well. You do have solid layers set in your slicer don't you?

Click here to login