Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HOTEND doesn't warm

Posted by monbesugo 
HOTEND doesn't warm
August 03, 2014 11:23AM
I have been finally printing with my prusa i3. But now, I have an issue... the hot end in the middle of a printing, stopped warming and it doesn't get hot anymore.

The heated does get warm correctly and everything else works fine. The problem is I can't print if the hot end doesn't get hot. What do you think the problem is? may be the hot end itself is broken?? The thermistors are reading fine...

What should I do??? (I have changed the arduino mega just in case, but nothing changed)

Thanks.
Re: HOTEND doesn't warm
August 03, 2014 04:21PM
What electronics board are you using? Assuming you're using RAMPS, the problem could be the power Mosfet for your hot end.
It's also possible that the heater you are using for your hot end is somehow broken.
I would test the Mosfet either with a multimeter or a something like a fan to see if there is any power coming from it, and the hot end heater by plugging it into another Mosfet. Also double-checking your wiring to ensure that the hot end heater is still connected is a good idea, too.

Thingiverse Profile
August 04, 2014 12:25AM
Lets start by checking those things that are easiest to fix first.
Disconnect the hot-end from the electronics. Check that you don't have an open circuit on the hot-end wires. (A solder joint on mine failed last week.)
Now reconnect and check the voltage at that point, both with the heater off and on. Does it change? If not, you will need to dive into the electronics and your problems get harder but you should always check the easiest solutions first, however unlikely they may seem.

cheers
Bruce
August 04, 2014 11:43AM
Hi

After following your indications, I discovered finally that the problem was the Heater Cartridge... it burnt

Changed it, I'm printing once again.

Thank you very much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login