Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis wont move down

Posted by Soundtrackzz 
Z axis wont move down
July 28, 2014 11:56AM
Hey everyone. I built a prusa i3 with marlin firmware (probably set incorrectly). The issue im having is that when using pronterface to try and move any axis, not every click results in a movement. But more worryingly is that I cant get the Z axis to move down at all. Both the Z+ and Z- buttons result in the Z axis moving upwards!

Thanks for the help
Re: Z axis wont move down
July 28, 2014 05:46PM
The default behaviour when homing the Z axis is to move up by a small amount, then move down until the end stop is triggered. If the firmware thinks the end stop is already triggered, it will move up but not down.

Check your wiring and send M119 to the printer. It will tell you the current state of the end stops. If your wiring is OK, you may have to change it so the end stop is normally closed or invert the behaviour in your firmware. End stops should normally be closed so that no damage is done if they are disconnected.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 28, 2014 05:53PM
Check your wires again. There is a small possibility that your motherboard is fault so plug your x or y axis into z axis socket and see how it moves. Also remember that z has two motors so it need double voltage, dont burn anything.
July 29, 2014 01:04PM
If you're trying to move downwards without first homing, it won't happen. On power up, the firmware assumes it is at z=0, and it won't go below this point. Home it first with G28, then you should be able to go in both directions. Of course you still can't go below 0

edit: I just read the part about both buttons moving upwards. I've never seen that before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 01:05PM by jbernardis.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login