Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not extruding enough filament

Posted by Kristina 
Not extruding enough filament
July 24, 2014 10:54PM
My extruder isn't emitting the filament properly, there seems to be somewhat of a jam inside. I'm printing with ABS and used acetone to clean it all out, but the problem still persisted. I think it has something to do with the heating inside the extruder. When I pulled the filament back out of the extruder it looked like it had melted in one place but below it hadn't (see picture). Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - photo-2.JPG (604.5 KB)
Re: Not extruding enough filament
July 26, 2014 04:17PM
Try the cleaning method where you heat up the hot end then lower it to the plastics transition point and then pull it out to clear the clogs. Also just pouring acetone down it wont help.. it takes a While for acetone to disolve abs. I'd suggest disassembling your extruder and using abs + tools to clean it manually.

Having said that it's hard to tell from that picture. You could have a permanent clog which can Only be cleaned manually. Someone also suggested brake cleaner.. havent tried it yet but the stuff will disolve ANYTHING. You didnt mention the type of hotend though. I use all metal (2 x e3d) so theyre safe to clean with anything. If you use a partial plastic one thats a whole different thing.
Re: Not extruding enough filament
July 28, 2014 12:21AM
Perhaps the extruder simply doesn't have a good grip on the filament. What kind of extruder mechanism are you using? I had a very similar problem, and it turned out the spring screws on my Greg's Extruder weren't nearly tight enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login