Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extuding materal stops flowing

Posted by tobig11 
extuding materal stops flowing
July 23, 2014 08:53AM
I have a prusa i3. After the first layer or two the material out of the hotend nozzle stops flowing. I changed the hotend to a new one, but it does it with this one to. The nozzle size is set right in slice. I tried increasing the temperature, this does not help. The hobbed bolt is working fine. It pushes filament out all over the place. Before this started the printer work perfectly. If I cut off the spend filament and re insert the filament in the hotend raise the z axis and just extrude material it works fine
Re: extuding materal stops flowing
July 23, 2014 02:57PM
Check to make sure you aren't over extruding. That puts undue pressure in the hotend and can cause the hobbed bolt to start eating your filament instead of pushing it out. Have you calibrated your e-steps and checked the filament diameter with calipers?

I installed an E3Dv5 recently and had similar problems. I was about to post here when I looked at the picture I took with the macro setting on my camera and I saw that there was way too much plastic being put out. I fixed that and I've been printing happily since with no clogs and much higher speed.
July 24, 2014 09:56AM
How do you go about calibrating your e-steps, I,ve have never done that. And if the calibration has to be changed how do you do that? also when it goes over one layer to start anotherlayer it drags over that layer as if it's to low.
July 24, 2014 10:29AM
tobig11
How do you go about calibrating your e-steps, I,ve have never done that. And if the calibration has to be changed how do you do that? also when it goes over one layer to start anotherlayer it drags over that layer as if it's to low.

Sounds like you are overextruding. Triffid Hunter's guide for calibration goes into e-step calibration and is a good guide to follow.

Bruce
July 25, 2014 11:05AM
Checked the stepper voltage. Read about .47v jacked it up to about .65 - .7. Works fine now.
July 26, 2014 03:01PM
Well tried it today, back to the way it was when it did not work. It don't work. Feed up!
July 26, 2014 04:13PM
Change filament. New filament from a new vendor.

I'm currently using clear abs from ink-top on ebay. Before that i used black abs and glow in the dark blue pla from another vendor. The black has moisture problems but MOSTLY i think it has too much garbage in it( recycled im guessing). It is so bad that it permaclogged my hotend and i broke a heatbreak clearing it out. The thing is these clogs are almost impossible to get out. Think about it.. a piece of sand getting "welded" to your hotend or in the seam between that and break etc. Id NEVER suggest using the laughably overpriced filament from people like makerbot (especially considering they likely mass produce it or outsource it etc etc) but find good suppliers people in this forum reccommend. Once i moved on to quality filament a whole SLEW of problems disappeared
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login