Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis binding

Posted by Beez 
Y axis binding
July 21, 2014 04:11PM
So, I'm working on a Prusa 2 which I've been having just a horrible time with. The current issue, which I've run out of things to check on, is the y axis binding. When I'm printing, in the middle of the print, the y axis will make a sound like angry bees, sometimes just one click, sometimes a bunch. This happens only when it's moving in one direction, and it seems to vary on when it does it, how long it does it for, and how many times it does it in the print. I've changed the motor, added a heatsink to the motor, checked the pots, raised the pots, realigned the frame, swapped the x and y axes (it's definitely the motor, not the driver), dropped the free-moving speed as that seems to be when it happens, dropped the max acceleration, loosened the belt, tightened the belt, and probably some other things that I can't remember at this point. Does anybody here have any idea of how I could fix this? Cause I'm out of ideas.
Re: Y axis binding
August 21, 2014 09:42AM
I'm having the same issue, only on the x axis. My x axis was working fine before moved to garage. Been playing with belts, pulley - no results. Been try to adjust stepper current - no luck yet. Was thinking either motor or stepper driver. Based on your attempts, I guess I'll need to get new motor.
August 21, 2014 12:01PM
Have you looked at your bearings/rods yet? I had a similar problem with my Z axis it turned out to be the motor binding on a kinked rod. A sticky bearing would cause a similar issue.

Mike
August 22, 2014 10:08AM
This thought is kind of out there, but you said it changed when you moved it to the garage...

Any chance there's a big temperature difference between your garage and where you had it previously? If so, your lubricant on your
bearings could be stiffening up.

Also, if there's a dry spot inside the bearing that can be sticking as well when it rolls around to a certain position.

On the sliding bearings, they tend to wipe off any lube you put on the rod. I had a similar issue and I slide the bearing off the rod and put a single drop of gun oil (sewing machine oil is good too) inside each of the bearings and reinstalled. After running it for awhile I wiped excess lube off of the rod.

Lubricants and lubrication are highly opinionated topics. I consider these oils safe as both guns and sewing machines have plastic, nylon and metal components. The downside of oils is over time they can attract dust and coagulate. Gun oils are developed to work well into the freezing range.

Last thought is if you have an out of spec bearing, it may hang up when the rod is at a higher temp and expands...
August 23, 2014 08:20AM
It definitely was the bearings. When moved without motor could tell. A drop of oil on the rods made all the difference. Was previously printing with vent hood when had in house, so that could have effected things as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login