Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crooked Z, What else should I try?

Posted by MoonTimber 
Crooked Z, What else should I try?
July 21, 2014 03:52AM
I have a Prusa-Mendel (I believe this is the i2) that was working fine, but for the last three weeks has been printing the leaning tower of Pisa. I noticed my bearings were worn so I replaced the smooth rods and bearings for both X & Y. Then I leveled the frame and hung a plumb line to make sure the Z axis was straight. Then I tightened the Y axis belt a tiny bit.

Nothing helped. Whenever I print anything the object slopes back towards the motor end of the Y axis. I can print a perfect square or circle as long as it's 1mm tall. Anything more than that will be crooked on the Z axis. Any suggestions on what else could be wrong?
Re: Crooked Z, What else should I try?
July 21, 2014 01:00PM
Make sure your currents are set high enough so that the motor doesn't skip steps.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
July 23, 2014 02:31PM
Yeah sounds like your y-axis is skipping steps. Might be too tight on one section of the rods. Make sure the carraige moves easily along the entire lenght.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 02:32PM by Rooski.
July 23, 2014 03:21PM
These are good suggestions. The Y-Carriage moves very smoothly since I replaced the bearings and the rods, but after reading your posts I noticed that the Y motor isn't 100% straight. It looks like the previous owner put the tension part a centimeter off from where it's supposed to be. If it's not straight there's a good chance it's binding, which would put a strain on the motor. I'm going to take apart the area that holds the motor this weekend and reassemble it so that it's perfectly straight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login