Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Funky prints with PLA vs ABS

Posted by scottdky 
Funky prints with PLA vs ABS
July 21, 2014 02:58AM
I am fairly new to 3D printing, and I have been printing with ABS (despite not having a heated bed) with great success (aside from some problems with bed adhesion). I have now started to experiment with printing PLA, and am having a terrible time. The filament extrudes very inconsistently. It always takes a couple of laps during the brim to start flowing. When drawing small inner perimeters, it barely lays down even half the circle. I have tried slowing down inner perimeters in Slic3r, but it doesn't seem to slow them down - it almost seems like it prints them faster than outer perimeters. When you look at several layers, there are occasional gaps. When I printed in ABS, the plastic always flowed very smoothly - no gaps regardless of speed. The temp I used for ABS is 225, and I have cranked the PLA temp up as high as 230 with little difference in behavior from 215. Below 215, it just emits beads from the extruder. BTW, I am using Slic3r with RepetierHost.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Re: Funky prints with PLA vs ABS
July 21, 2014 11:29AM
More details about your setup would help.
Printing PLA and ABS are two very different world, for about a year I was exclusively PLA, only recently adding ABS, ABS/PA alloy, and Nylon according to customer needs. I had to relearn how to print things, and I'm probably only half way there with getting effective adhesion. They print clean, clean, clean. I love how clean ABS prints, especially from 3DXTech. PLA is easier to print with when it comes to adhesion and warping. You need a fan blowing where the plastic comes out of the nozzle; it needs to cool as quickly as possible else it will curl upwards/expand due to extended heating/gob. Lower bed temps as well. I print PLA at 42C bed with blue painter's tape and a fan blowing under the nozzle. I can't say for sure, but I think 220C on your extruder would be optimal, you never want to go too high with PLA, it degrades/crystallizes it. That bad starting is due to oozing, PLA oozes a lot more than ABS. Every print I do, while it's homing I push down the filament by hand and pull it away from the nozzle for clean starts. PLA needs needs needs good retraction, depending on your extruder/hotend you may need anywhere from 0.8mm to 4.2mm. The biggest known improvement for PLA quality [besides getting it to extrude properly] is adding a fan. Some have the proper fan mount on the extruder, others make due with a giant fan off to the side.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login