Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Quality Prusa I3

Posted by Grazza 
Print Quality Prusa I3
July 08, 2014 10:39PM
Hello everyone I am very new to the 3D printing field, I have just recently purchased a Prusa I3 from 3dprinterczar, construction went fine, all axes are calibrated as well as the extruder. The hotend is a J head MK IV with a 0.4mm orifice.

I am printing with ABS at 220C with the bed at 93C.

I am printing on a 5mm glass sheet that is very flat, with a coating of ABS juice. First layer height is 0.1mm the rest are 0.2mm.

Here is a print with the fan off:
dropbox image

Here is a print with the fan on:
dropbox image

I have seen that a fan with ABS is shunned, but it seems to dramatically improve my prints, what is the go, I have spent ages tweaking slic3r settings.

The small 10mm x 10mm calibration cube comes out ok, but when I print something larger the corners will warp up because the fan is cooling the bed.

Will a duct for the fan solve all my problems?

I also searched through 15 pages of this section and couldn't find a similar enough problem.

Sorry if I forgot anything, please let me know.
Cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 01:10AM by Grazza.
Re: Print Quality Prusa I3
July 09, 2014 11:52AM
Yup, a duct to prevent to cold air from coming in contact with your heated bed would definitely help with the warping.

I used to "tape" a duct with kapton because I was too lazy. Heh.
July 09, 2014 08:04PM
Awesome, thanks a lot!
July 12, 2014 08:23PM
i would try higher temperatures. theres no way you should get warping anyway with anythign that small and it looks like your plastic is instahardening as it leaves the nozzel. I print abs at 265 and bed 115 works well. I havent yet read of anyone having a problem using too high temps with abs
July 13, 2014 11:32AM
Hey

great to see that there are other people who got their prusa i3 from 3dprinterczar!

I´m using PLA but i also noticed that there is the issue with cooling down the heatbed when i don´t use a duct.
I printed this thing here but then i noticed I can´t mount it because the original fan holder is keeping the hotend in place :/
I mounted it on only one side so it´s on a 45° angle winking smiley

I´m thinking of creating a fan duct for both sides so the extruder tip is getting cooled like on the Ultimaker 2.

Hit me up if you got some questions!
July 14, 2014 08:29AM
cdreid9999
i would try higher temperatures. theres no way you should get warping anyway with anythign that small and it looks like your plastic is instahardening as it leaves the nozzel. I print abs at 265 and bed 115 works well. I havent yet read of anyone having a problem using too high temps with abs

Too low you say?

My hotend max temp is 247C, I cranked up the heat and noticed no difference, maybe it isn't hot enough.
Although..
When I was printing the cubes from the first post I noticed that every time it got to a corner it would scrape and bend the corner a little as it did the corner motion, so it definitely remained hot. Possibly too hot.
When I print larger things, I get little to no corner buildup, so I really do think it isn't cooling down enough.
Thanks for your help though.
I plan on buying a better hotend so I'll post here, so when I do just to record the issue.

zippi
Hey

great to see that there are other people who got their prusa i3 from 3dprinterczar!

I´m using PLA but i also noticed that there is the issue with cooling down the heatbed when i don´t use a duct.
I printed this thing here but then i noticed I can´t mount it because the original fan holder is keeping the hotend in place :/
I mounted it on only one side so it´s on a 45° angle winking smiley

I´m thinking of creating a fan duct for both sides so the extruder tip is getting cooled like on the Ultimaker 2.

Hit me up if you got some questions!

I'll get on to printing that thing, thanks a lot.
I have been very busy lately to be able to do further calibration.

Thanks for everyone's support!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login