Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setup stalled, y stepper stopped responding

Posted by dafeesh 
Setup stalled, y stepper stopped responding
July 03, 2014 12:44AM
First time poster here. I've been working on my prusa mendel off and on for a very long time and got the bug to finish it up last week. I finished the build and got to the calibration which was going well after a whole bunch of research and tinkering. I was conducting my first test print, a bed leveling stl, when the bed heater wires got caught on the y end stop and pulled violently before I was able to power off. Since that moment the y carriage has not been able to home and will sporadically move 10mm when prompted. I changed the pololu for "y" out with an extra and the symptoms persisted. X, Z, and E are all functioning very well. Restarting the laptop, powering down and disconnecting everything did not help. Hoping it isn't the shield. I'm at a loss here so if anyone can help diagnose this it would be very much appreciated. A little info on the setup:

Arduino mega
ramps 1.4
nema 17 steppers
silicone mat heated bed

Thanks!
Re: Setup stalled, y stepper stopped responding
July 03, 2014 03:00AM
Have you checked the Y end-stop with a meter? Obviously should be switching between totally open and totally short when actuated. If it was strained, then maybe the contacts are disturbed internally.

July 03, 2014 09:09AM
you know, I've held out trying to figure every big problem that a noob like me would run into and I have worked them out. And it's a simple thing like the the switch being damaged after violent contact that I have to ask about. Anyway, that was it. Thanks a bunch!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login