Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

trouble with my magma hot end

Posted by dennisleacock 
trouble with my magma hot end
July 02, 2014 06:33PM
Hi i have a prusa i3v 8" from maker farm. I have the magma hot end on it and i am currently having trouble extruding. When i start a print it will extrude the first two layers then the filament stops extruding. i am running white abs at 240 degrees. Any help would be appreciated.
Re: trouble with my magma hot end
July 04, 2014 11:00AM
You probably have a leak in the hot end, my leak was so bad I ended up tearing the magma apart trying to clean it out. I instead bought a E3Dv5 and have never been happier.
Re: trouble with my magma hot end
July 06, 2014 08:01PM
I had similar, the heat would creep up and make the filament upwards soft enough for it to make a big blob and a jam happens ...

Ended up heat insulating the hotend tip with heater element, reattaching the thermistor as close to the tip as possible (small slot in the nozzle). Used fiberglass matt and kapton to wrap it around many times. Now printing nylon @ 270c, and have a 80mm cooling fan cooling the printable objects and at same time hotend.

Quality rose A LOT and now you can touch the hotend while hot without burning your fingers and as the heater cartridge is not as much used, there is less heat creeping upwards as well etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login