Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heating problems

Posted by aboyd 
heating problems
June 18, 2014 05:38PM
hi everyone, just wondering if you could help me with some heating issues
im having problems sustaining the required heat for the hotend and the heatbed. say for example i were to turn on the hotend first it would climb to around 215 C then drop to 185 ( set tempt) taking a total of 86 seconds, then i if i turned on the heatbed, the heatbed would climb to about 45 C (60 C required) in about 24 seconds while the hotend drops in temp then the heatbed temp starts to drop. i have checked the voltage at the power source and its still about 12 v i even tried turning it up to 14 v but not change. before i had the heatbed working the hotend would reach the required temp and stay there no problem. note that i had to swap my heatbed wiring to D9 and change the pins.h settings to suit as for some reason it wasnt working in d8. i am using sprinter and pronterface the pins.h settings are as follows:
#if MOTHERBOARD == 33
#define MOTHERBOARD 3
#define RAMPS_V_1_3
#endif
#if MOTHERBOARD == 3
#define KNOWN_BOARD 1

//////////////////FIX THIS//////////////
#ifndef __AVR_ATmega1280__
#ifndef __AVR_ATmega2560__
#error Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu.
#endif
#endif

// uncomment one of the following lines for RAMPS v1.3 or v1.0, comment both for v1.2 or 1.1
// #define RAMPS_V_1_3
// #define RAMPS_V_1_0

#ifdef RAMPS_V_1_3

#define X_STEP_PIN 54
#define X_DIR_PIN 55
#define X_ENABLE_PIN 38
#define X_MIN_PIN 3
#define X_MAX_PIN -1 //2 //Max endstops default to disabled "-1", set to commented value to enable.

#define Y_STEP_PIN 60
#define Y_DIR_PIN 61
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN 56
#define Y_MIN_PIN 14
#define Y_MAX_PIN -1 //15

#define Z_STEP_PIN 46
#define Z_DIR_PIN 48
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN 62
#define Z_MIN_PIN 18
#define Z_MAX_PIN -1 //19

#define E_STEP_PIN 26
#define E_DIR_PIN 28
#define E_ENABLE_PIN 24

#define E_1_STEP_PIN 36
#define E_1_DIR_PIN 34
#define E_1_ENABLE_PIN 30

#define SDPOWER -1
#define SDSS 53
#define LED_PIN 13
#define FAN_PIN 9
#define PS_ON_PIN 12
#define KILL_PIN -1
#define ALARM_PIN -1

#define HEATER_0_PIN 10
#define HEATER_1_PIN 8
#define TEMP_0_PIN 13 // ANALOG NUMBERING
#define TEMP_1_PIN 14 // ANALOG NUMBERING
#define TEMP_2_PIN 15 // ANALOG NUMBERING

could anyone please help me as i am stuck not knowing what to do and really want to start printing
Re: heating problems
June 18, 2014 06:33PM
Measure the 12v while both are on. If it drops significantly you need a larger power supply. Also make sure the wires from PS to board and from board to hotend and bed are large enough to handle the current.
June 19, 2014 05:05PM
i originally though it was a power supply problem but measuring the voltage it doesnt drop much or below 12v i even had it up to 14.49v with both heatbed and hotend on as for the wires, the hotend uses a cartridge so its the wires it comes with and the heat bed uses 16 awg wire
June 21, 2014 07:15PM
can anyone help me please?
June 21, 2014 08:01PM
oh and i have switched hotends but didnt change anything
A2
June 21, 2014 08:16PM
check out [webchat.freenode.net] for real time help
June 21, 2014 08:20PM
oo thank you
July 07, 2014 09:09AM
Try changing the MOSFET that controls your heatbed. This has made a difference on my i3, not perfect as yet but I suspect my power supply is the problem as I am not getting 12V at the heatbed terminals.

Regards
Nige
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login