Advanced

abs or pla?

Posted by Quefol 
abs or pla?
May 20, 2014 10:20PM
what would be the the best filament for a first time user pla or abs
Re: abs or pla?
May 21, 2014 06:30AM
My vote is PLA, since it doesn't require a heated bed.....
May 21, 2014 07:38AM
PLA is easier to print, start with that.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 21, 2014 08:04AM
I print exclusivey PLA (1 yearish) and I'm still not looking at getting ABS. But it all depends on use, I'll need to get something else as I begin printing things that need more heat resistance [ie. custom car plates].

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
May 21, 2014 10:39PM
I think it depends on what you want to do with your prints.

I have printed ABS from day 1 but I also did a few small prints with PLA. My parts are used in mechanical devices and I needed the strength and longevity & heat resistance of ABS. It's true it can be a little more tricky to print because of warping but if you learn ABS then it won't be a leap to print with PLA. Some people don't like the smell of ABS but I really barely smell it. Some people like the smell of PLA printing but when I did print with PLA I actually was much more aware of the smell and I did not like it.

I do like the translucent look of some PLA, kind of reminds me of candy (Jolly Ranchers) and you can use it to print lamp shades where ABS is a solid color (I have heard of transparent ABS but have not tried it). So, if you want to make mostly decorative items or items that won't require high strength or very long life (talking 5+ years here) then PLA might be best. If you want to print more mechanical items that require high strength or you want them to last 10+ years then I would look into ABS.

It't a good idea to get a printer than can do both so you can switch back and forth.
October 11, 2014 08:59PM
Im new to 3d printing, got 2kg of PLA with the printer..learned how to do everything and started getting real nice prints..then thought, ya, its time for ABS...well, i got like 2 ok prints and the problems have left me dead in the water...though, in the 40 or so hours of rebuilding, building a chamber, rebuilding again etc etc..i have learned alot...but still cant get the ABS working well on my machine...actually thinking its poor quality filament rather than me or my machine...just sayin...Im becoming a lover of PLA, and cant wait to get another spool of it..hurts looking at my non functioning 3d printer begging to be making cool stuff..:-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login