Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Quality Changes By Side

Posted by equinox86 
Print Quality Changes By Side
April 23, 2014 06:09PM
Hey Everyone,

I have been printing on my Prusa Mendal for about a month and have been pleased with the results until fairly recently.

I am noticing now that there is a bit of inconsistent perimeter layer separation on only one side of my prints.
Attached are two pictures from my last print.

Problem:
As you can see on the "Good Side" the layers are tightly packed and look decent (for me at least :-/ )
the good side is facing the back of the printer.

The "Bad Side"; however, is inconsistently separated. The Layer holds throughout the print, but this degrades the integrity of the finished product.
The "Bad Side" is facing the front of the printer.

So far this issue only occurs on thin thinner walls (approx 4-6mm).
I have since printed a large and small wades gear which has turned out nicely without this issue occuring.

Software/Hardware Setup:
Gcode Generator: Slic3r 1.0
Printing Utility: Pronterface (Printrun)
Nozzle Diameter: .35mm
Layer Height: .28mm
Filament: Afina 1.75mm Red (From Radioshack)
Perimeter Speed: 20mm/s
Nozzle Temp: 240C
Heated Bed: 115C

Remedy Actions/Diagnostics:
I have ruled out bed leveling, as the behavior is consistent on both walls which are over 60mm apart.
I have tightened the belts as much as i could and they are extremely taught. (about 1500Hz)
I have increased the Extrusion Multiplier to 1.1 in Slic3r
I have ensured that extrusions are to the full diameter and that there is no curl on exit.
I have Added 5mm of Brim to avert edge curling

Any help that can be provided would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance.

~Steve
Attachments:
open | download - Bad Side.jpg (62 KB)
open | download - Good Side.jpg (71.3 KB)
Re: Print Quality Changes By Side
April 24, 2014 04:58AM
It could look like one of your Z screws is not straight, this can cause non linear motion in the Z direction, so some layers will be compressed, and other will barely touch eachother.
Re: Print Quality Changes By Side
April 28, 2014 03:04PM
What would be a good fix for this? I see the term acme threaded rods floating around, are these anymore precise?

I have also seen people talk abiut z isolators, but from the feedback I have read these sound ineffective. I dont have my motors screwed down so they are free to move at the top and absorb as much wobble as possible
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login