Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 z distance adjustment

Posted by sidhabo 
Prusa i3 z distance adjustment
April 23, 2014 05:33PM
Just banging my head on finding some "scientific" solution to get my distance good adjusted printhead to bed.
Most instructions include adjusting z end stop proper to get distance right.
When I do home what distance should it be. I been trying get "double paper" like.
Then I tried to mesure with manual feed of z axis so I could find the point where "double paper" was fine.
Added that value in Slicer config Printer setting-> Z offset
That config seems to not make a difference sad smiley
Anyone know if this config works ? I had 1.5 mm set there. Did not make a difference. And I did do new slicing after adjusting and saving config.
I did get fairly good printout by mechanical adjust of Z distance but just by time consuming trial and error ....
And there must be a better way to do this.
Thanks
Ha det gött
Bosse

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
Re: Prusa i3 z distance adjustment
April 23, 2014 07:14PM
Z offset is really just a fudge factor. You will be better off adjusting the Z endstop correctly in the first place. Use a piece of photocopy paper or paper that has a 0.1mm thickness. Home the Z axis so the paper lightly drags under the nozzle. Adjust again if needs be but home again before every paper check.

April 24, 2014 01:47PM
Thanks for reply Waitaki. Ok, I'll have to stick to manual adjust of my Z endstop.
Until I figure out a better way smiling smiley
One thing I'm a bit unsure of though .... If I basically set E head like 0.1 mm from bed. Isn't first layer printout best done with E head, in my case, layer hight 0.3 over bed ... Or is this taken care of in Repetier start code ... ?

Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 24, 2014 01:56PM
As I understand it. The extruder gap is measured with everything cold. After heating the extruder and bed there should be a ZERO gap. This allows the 1st layer height in the slicing software to be accurate.
April 24, 2014 02:06PM
randyf1965
The extruder gap is measured with everything cold. After heating the extruder and bed there should be a ZERO gap
That's why it never made sense to me! One more thing cleared up for me..
April 24, 2014 02:08PM
Yes, that make sense. If I look at my gcode first Z move is up to 0.5 , thereafter 0.3 for each layer
Thanks Ran.. winking smiley
Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 24, 2014 03:06PM
Ok, testing and learning. Seems it's real important to get the Z dist at home right from my learning. Like to the 0.1 mm.
That's why it bugs me I can't find a better way to adjust that but freaking trial and error it on manual moving my Z end stop.
I'll have to solve this a better way. Or it will bug me constant eye rolling smiley
Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 25, 2014 02:54PM
The first item I printed was a an adjustable z-axis endstop. I started with this one [www.thingiverse.com], but had to modify it so it didn't flop all over the place and worked with the endstops I received in the kit. Terrible print quality, but life is so much better now winking smiley
Attachments:
open | download - thumb-z1.jpg (30.4 KB)
open | download - thumb-z2.jpg (23 KB)
April 25, 2014 03:09PM
Kinda my plan too. Thanks a lot for sharing ww smiling smiley
Ha det gött
Bosse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 03:10PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
April 25, 2014 03:38PM
Found Slicer setup Print settings->First layer height
By adjusting that like 0.1 mm a time I can get the optimal Z distance for good printout.
Just have to adjust home position manually for Z like just near zero or "folded paper" distance.
Then you can use First layer height to fine tune best start height
Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 25, 2014 03:58PM
Hm, just found out if I set First layer height bigger than 0.5 the slicer won't accept it moody smiley
Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 25, 2014 04:46PM
Seems First layer height wasn't such a good parameter to "adjust" starting Z posision .....
If I set it below 0.3 I get no plastic feed ... above 0.5 slicer won't accept it sad smiley
Ha det gött
Bosse

Göteborg, Sweden
April 25, 2014 04:51PM
Will look at the FW setup for a way to control Z start distance in a programmed way ... or maybe go at editing my g-code manually ... to manupilate Z dist
Trying to get the right offset by moving Z endstop, at 0.1 mm steps, seems utterly barbaric to me.
Ha det gött
Bosse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 04:53PM by sidhabo.

Göteborg, Sweden
April 25, 2014 06:00PM
You only use that endstop adjuster to set the zero height (using the method waitaki mentioned). All the slicers have ways to set the height of your first layer. Repetier just links some version of Slic3r by default. If it's not working, something is wrong. Try running slic3r on it's own, or another slicer. (Cura, Kisslicer, Skeinforge, Simplify3D ...)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login