Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print trouble shooting -- too hot ?

Posted by Jerms.a320 
Print trouble shooting -- too hot ?
April 22, 2014 07:09AM
Hi guys,

I am printing a quail egg holder I have designed and the printer is printing the Hex raft really well but the parts of the egg carton seem to be way to hot -- the plastic seems to be piling up and the hot end , the hotend has to "jump" over it (it pushes the hotend up and then it springs back after it has crossed t section ) ---- the raft is only 2 layers high

any ideas (see pic attach)

thanks

Jeremy
Attachments:
open | download - Print problem.jpg (484.1 KB)
Re: Print trouble shooting -- too hot ?
April 22, 2014 10:43AM
Looks like too high extrusion, but I'm no expert like some around here.
April 22, 2014 06:57PM
Thanks dr !

So I should re measure my e-feed and update the value in sprinter ?
April 23, 2014 03:46AM
Not sure what I'm looking at in you pic but I'll assume that the vertical layers in the back is the raft? This seems to be followed by a honeycomb infil. Do you not have any solid layers at the bottom of the actual print?

April 23, 2014 10:06AM
There are a few different things to do in the way of extrusion. Measure steps/mm to provide accurate firmware movement (yes, what you just said), getting an accurate measurement of your filament, and then changing your extrusion width if the first two don't provide perfection. I've had much difference in the way of numbers compared to everyone else (ie, I print PLA at 162C), but for comparison I have my filament set at 1.7mm and extrusion width 0.7. My printer out performs the industrial printer here at work.
April 24, 2014 01:28AM
Thanks again doc !

I'll tweak some values tonight --- I think the idea that the printer is just pushing out too much plastic makes sence, it would explain why the Raft and honeycomb is fine

You have it right Waitaki, ther are small solid layer pads underneath those corner triangles - I'm not sure weather I should be using support ir not - this is like the 2nd design I've printed
April 25, 2014 05:20AM
So I re calibrated by extruder motor steps, and the support came out this time so It can be broken of easily -in the original picture the support is all attached together and very stiff- but after about 6 layers the hot end became too close to the print and was moved around and caused it to miss a x-step and the next layer was out by a few mm in the x - direction

-- I will lower the e steps per mm, but from measuring it is accurate -- is there an option to raise the hot end by a certain amount each layer ( is that just layer height ?)

I will have another crack tomorrow night

thanks heaps guys

Jeremy
April 25, 2014 08:25AM
Change your extrusion width, if your steps per mm are accurate, don't touch those anymore. By what your describing you'll have to lower it quite a bit, I'd say bring it down to 0.6.
What slicer are you using?
April 26, 2014 05:44AM
I'm just using Sli3r, I play around with that now - starting with 0.6mm

I might upload some pics of some prints as well

thanks heaps

-- any idea on a hairspray alternative for ABS ? -- I am using a glass bed with a lot of hairspray, it is working well, but is stinking the house out !
April 26, 2014 02:15PM
Great, I use Slic3r as well so it'll be easier to guide you.

--No, I exclusively use PLA. Blue painter's tape and 51C heated bed.
April 27, 2014 03:59AM
I changed the settings for extrusion width all down to 0.5mm , It is printing better --- I am about half way through the print, but the nozzle got to close to the previous layer a few times and clogged the hot end, it was easy to clear (I just had to push the filament down a bit, the print was still running). so it skipped a layer once or twice, but it recovered alright

- I think I will just have to go through an slowly play with the settings and see what works
April 27, 2014 03:40PM
That's how I did it. Took me like four months, but I got there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login