Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer stops then starts, stops printing mid-print

Posted by ttttrigg3r 
Printer stops then starts, stops printing mid-print
April 17, 2014 06:03PM
Issue: My printer would sometimes stop midprint, then resume again. It'll do this about every 10-15 mins. Sometimes it would just stop printing midprint. I have to press pause, then resume. I have uploaded a screen shot of the Gcode right after it stopped printing. I had to pause then resume and it kept on printing. It's not getting stuck because there's nothing blocking the way of the carriage. It's not overly sticky or hard to move, and the motor moves just fine. I don't think it's a motor problem. Asking for help.
Specs: Prusa i3 Makergear Hot end kit.
Slic3r and Pronterface to print.

Re: Printer stops then starts, stops printing mid-print
April 17, 2014 07:16PM
Are you using an SD card for printing or just direct from the PC? If it's the former, try printing direct and see if the problem disappears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 07:18PM by waitaki.

April 17, 2014 07:20PM
This print is direct from USB to my laptop.I'm not using an extension for the USB, I'm using the USB that came with the Ramps kit. It is about 4feet long. I don't think USB cable is the problem though.
PS. I hope to one day be able to print from SD card. I just recently built this printer and learning more about it.
April 17, 2014 07:28PM
Try changing your baudrate to 115200 in the firmware and in Pronterface.

April 17, 2014 07:45PM
How would I do that? When I installed the Marlin firmware and Pface, I was told to set pronterface baud rate to 250000. If I change it to 115200, I can't read any of the console messages.
April 17, 2014 09:36PM
Fixed it. It is the computer lagging whenever I use something that takes up too much resource. I was running Firefox while printing. If I click on my hotmail shortcut, firefox will eat up a lot of memory while loading it. If you do something that eats up your RAM it'll hang the pronterface signal to the Arduino Mega until the system is done freeing up the resource for it. I'm using a Thinkpad w530 which is pretty buff. It goes to show just how much memory Firefox eats up.
April 18, 2014 05:09AM
How much RAM have you got? I'm surprised!

April 18, 2014 10:53AM
16gb.
April 18, 2014 10:59AM
O.o I've got 16GB and I can decode HD video, play games, and stream said games all at the same time and I have absolutely no problem printing.
April 18, 2014 11:17AM
I'm not sure if it's a RAM problem or not, I've isolated it as a Firefox problem. I can do everything else and print fine. As soon as I load up Firefox and click on hotmail, it just sucks so much resource
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login