Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low Extrusion in thin areas

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
Low Extrusion in thin areas
April 16, 2014 04:31PM
So I recently repaired my printer, but I am also using a newer version of Repetier host than when I last used it, also resetting my Slic3r settings. My prints are coming up odd. I got my extrusion set just right based on the starts of some prints. But it seems like it's far too low on parts that are thin, but as soon as it's wide it's all good. Even within the same layer the affect is the same.
Attachments:
open | download - Print.gif (573 KB)
Re: Low Extrusion in thin areas
April 17, 2014 01:41PM
Dawned on me this might be my extruder not getting enough power? Is there such thing as too much power? I had to shift around my stepper drivers when I did some electronics work and testing.
May 15, 2014 02:33PM
There is such a thing it causes skipped steps, but it looks to me like your extrusion settings are too low, try lowering the filament size in slic3r by .07 and see what happens.

Through self sustaining actions comes freedom

DIY Tech Shop
May 16, 2014 12:41AM
I had the same issue and it turned out my retraction was too much at 1.1mm on a direct setup. I tested a few retract settings and .5mm retract at 30mm/sec worked out great on the smaller sections like in your picture.
May 16, 2014 09:19AM
Hm, previous to my E3D upgrade I had retraction 3.2-3.7mm at 120mm/s eye rolling smiley
Post E3D I lowered it to I think 1.2/0.9mm, can't remember, I've changed it a few times, same speed.

In my starting GCode I've got it set to extrude 6mm of plastic right before it starts moving onto the bed to remove the oozing loss. Which, with better temps and a few other things I should decrease that. But the point, with my lower grade filament it does it just fine, but it shoots out extremely fast [faster than I can by hand]. I've yet to adjust the feedrate on the extrusion, but it seemed fine so I've procrastinated that one. On the higher grade filament, the filament with the extrusion problem, it skips steps instead. It seems to have higher friction. I've switched between the two often, it's never different. Low grade low friction, vice versa.
Thinking about it, that would make sense with retraction, not being able to get a good restart due to friction. I'll play with that one tonight.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login