Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 print problem

Posted by Govanator 
Prusa i3 print problem
April 15, 2014 08:04PM
Hi folks,

After printing a calibration cube successfully yesterday, i ran into some print issues today with a bigger print.
The basic lines are printed ok, but when the "infill" starts he seems to ignore some parts.
I dont think it's a calibration problem because it's not always at the same spots.
I attached a picture:
Does anyone have an advice?

thx,

Grtzz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 08:27PM by Govanator.
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-04-16 01.54.53.jpg (257.6 KB)
Re: Prusa i3 print problem
April 15, 2014 08:58PM
What are we looking at in that picture? Is that supposed to be the first layer??

You should have one or two solid first layers before infill starts.

Without knowing what I'm looking at it appears you have bigger problems that lack of infill.
April 15, 2014 09:01PM
Its an volkswagen logo,

the problems do occur at the first layer, it skips some parts.
and the parts where the first layer was set there are no problems afterwards
April 15, 2014 09:04PM
If the filamet being laid down and curling up or is it not being laid down?
What temp and what type of filamet?
What style hotend?
April 15, 2014 09:08PM
Still not sure that I understand. So you peeled that infill layer off of the first couple layers? Your first couple layers should be solid. In slic3r, set the first 2 or 3 layers to be solid before it starts infill. It appears you have zero solid bottom layers and it's trying to print infill as the first layer.

Also appears that your bed isn't level. The right side looks very thin and flat while the top left side looks... like hell.
April 15, 2014 09:10PM
Mostly its not being laid down, the curling up is very rare.
Its an j-head mkv 0.35 on a gregs extruder.
185 c and 60 c (i tried up to 200c and 80c but no difference)
I printed a cube yesterday with no issues :s

cat.farmer
If the filamet being laid down and curling up or is it not being laid down?
What temp and what type of filamet?
What style hotend?
Attachments:
open | download - 1397607713296.jpg (26.1 KB)
April 15, 2014 09:13PM
Istale
Still not sure that I understand. So you peeled that infill layer off of the first couple layers? Your first couple layers should be solid. In slic3r, set the first 2 or 3 layers to be solid before it starts infill. It appears you have zero solid bottom layers and it's trying to print infill as the first layer.

Also appears that your bed isn't level. The right side looks very thin and flat while the top left side looks... like hell.

In slic3er it is already set to 3 layers,
it starts printing the outside lines, and then its starts to infill between these lines ( where there was no layer yet, so yes it does infill as first layers)
the bed should be level, the heigth between the bed and the nozzle is the same on each corner of the bed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 09:15PM by Govanator.
April 15, 2014 09:24PM
Govanator
it starts printing the outside lines, and then its starts to infill between these lines ( where there was no layer yet, so yes it does infill as first layers)

Is that your first failed print then?

Sounds like a slic3r issue to me. Have you tried just exporting the g-code again and trying again?

Sometimes things just don't work for no reason and you just have to try again. Looking at that cube, looks like you shouldn't have any problems. Try re-homing all of your axises before printing, etc.. Just start from the beginning.

Do you have your z-axis motors disabled while not in use so that you can adjust your first layer?

I get my z-home as close as I can, but I don't rely on it. I set my skirt to go around 2-3 times and then while it's doing that I manually adjust the z-height by just twisting the couplers/threads while it prints the skirt. That way I get my first layer how to the precise height that I want it. Not sure that would entirely fix your problem, but it's a start to getting the first layer to stick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 09:25PM by Istale.
April 15, 2014 09:38PM
The cube actually was my first print! i did not even level the bed or level the the bars where my gregs extruder is on :s.
Then i printed this logo but much smaller with no issues either, then i tried the same logo but scaled it larger and then the problems came.
Then i leveled the bed and the bars of the extruder and it dint even help, it even seemed to get worse.
I dont think the z motors are turend off while not in use, atleast i did not change that kind of setting.
I will try again tommorow, and i will post the results.

thank you for your time and advice!
April 18, 2014 09:26AM
Hi Gov
I'm about at same spot as you are. Printed my first 10x10 mm dice
Then going for 20x20 mm dice I get no plastic feed
I noted temp of head went down from 250 to around 210 after first layers
My guessing is that that temp is too low to get plastics feeded properly
Just trying and get it worikin now when I turned off fan auto cooling in Slicer config for Filaments
At least I have plastic feed going now and dice prints out
Need some more learning on this I guess ....
Ha det gött
Bosse

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
April 21, 2014 07:36PM
Hey Sid,

I reuploaded my firmware to the controller and i reinstalled sli3er.
So i had a fresh start, and now i am printing really good parts without changing anything for the rest.
I know its a standard setting in sli3cer that your first layers are automatically on a higher temperature , wich btw you can change .
I hope this helps something but i am still a rookie myself.

Picture of current prints attached.

Grtzz

sidhabo
Hi Gov
I'm about at same spot as you are. Printed my first 10x10 mm dice
Then going for 20x20 mm dice I get no plastic feed
I noted temp of head went down from 250 to around 210 after first layers
My guessing is that that temp is too low to get plastics feeded properly
Just trying and get it worikin now when I turned off fan auto cooling in Slicer config for Filaments
At least I have plastic feed going now and dice prints out
Need some more learning on this I guess ....
Ha det gött
Bosse
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-04-19 18.15.17.jpg (263.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login