Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Possessed Hotend

Posted by lonemedic 
Possessed Hotend
March 28, 2014 04:30AM
So I may have a possessed hot end. After fixing it post-jam. I went to plug it back in (I have a quick adapter setup to allow for quick changes) and it seemed to heat nicely but it didn't stop. It reached about 300ºC until I killed the power. I am either leaning to the fact that I have blown a MOSSFET or the board. The hot end won't stop heating, and does not obey my commands.

I am using a MKV J-Head, a 100K Thermistor and a Megatronics board.

C

Anyone know what is happening/have any solutions?
Re: Possessed Hotend
March 29, 2014 04:21AM
Well, if the hot-end was the only thing you disturbed, then maybe look there - e.g. is the return side of the heater shorting somewhere?

Apart from that, is the heater LED staying on- that would indicate the Mosfet either staying switched on by the Arduino controller or if not, maybe the 'Fet is shorted?

April 02, 2014 02:40PM
The heater LED is staying on, and it would do this even when the controller is not powered. Is it easy to replace FETs?
Re: Possessed Hotend
April 03, 2014 03:39AM
The easiest way is to cut the Mosfet from its legs (leaving enough of the leg behind to grasp with pliers. Apply the soldering iron to the 1st cut leg and extract it with the pliers, then remove the other 2. If you find the hole is blocked with solder, heat it again then immediately blow through the hole with your Mark1 donut muncher!

April 03, 2014 01:08PM
THANKS!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login