Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two Issues, One Print

Posted by lukan 
Two Issues, One Print
March 27, 2014 12:17PM
Yesterday I did a few prints while working, then I set one up for overnight printing. The prints during the day turned out pretty good, while the overnight print has issues. I am hoping to increase my knowledge of printing issues, and I am looking for confirmation that what I suspect is wrong is either correct or incorrect. It is a long read with some decent pictures, and I thank anyone who takes the time to read it.

The particulars:

Filament : 1.75 mm Blue glow in the dark PLA - reprapper
Nozzle : 0.4 mm
Extruder : Wades {Nothing fancy like herringbone gears or anything}
Heatbed : No {Waiting for new thermistors due to one breaking}
HotEnd : E3D
Printing Temp : 210 °C
Cura : 14.01
Pronterface : Printrun 2013.10.19

Configuration.h Particulars :
#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80,80,4000,589}  // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {300, 300, 3, 25}    // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {1000,1000,5,10000}    // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION          1000    // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION  1000   // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts

Cura Settings :
Layer Height : 0.2
Shell Thickness : 1.0
Retraction Enabled

Bottom/Top thickness 0.4
Fill Density : 30 %

Print Speed : 40 mm/s

No supports
No adhesion

Flow : 100 %

Retraction Speed : 5 mm/s
Distance : 1 mm

Initial layer thickness : 0.3 mm
Cut off object bottom : 0.0
Dual extrusion overlap : 0.15 mm

Travel speed : 60 mm/s
Bottom layer speed : 20 mm/s
Infill speed : 0.0 mm/s {Defaulting to firmware}

Minimal layer time : 5 s 
Cooling fan enabled {But no fan installed}

This is the only print that was in the same PLA that I did in the afternoon, Bird Feeder. It seems to have started to develop a bit of a leaning when it finished with everything except the center spire that a 2 liter bottle screws into. Other than that, the layers all look in good order, and I can find very little in the way of bumps or other extrusion artifacts. This was also printed directly from Cura.

The overnight part was sliced in Cura, then printed in Pronterface, I did this due to Cura taking its time at the beginning of the print and at 1 am I was eager to get some sleep.

Pronterface Settings:
Heat : 210
Bed : off

Printer Settings:
Bed temp : 0
Extruder temp for PLA : 210
X & Y manual feedrate : 500
Z manual feedrate : 100
E manual feedrate : 100
Extruders count : 1

The overnight print, , apparently has the issues that I am trying to understand. I think that I know what caused the bottom layer shifting that can be seen in the image, if it is unclear I will have another image later. While printing, one of the pieces to this print, Zheng3 Penny Mortar for s33j, did not adhere to the bed and lifted off in the beginning stages of the print. I am confident that this is what caused the registration errors that caused the layers to not print on top of each other correctly.

This leaves the question concerning near the end of the print. In the image above, it is evident that the support arms and the center launch rail are not connected properly. On the left column and the center rail you can see how there is a band, and on the right column you can see that it is already broken off, I was not careful enough before the pictures o_0. I have no idea what caused this to occur. Is this simply a bad section of filament? Or something else, possibly environmental, that has affected only a small { less than 1% } portion of the print? Or possibly a section of filament that was either too hot or too cold on extrusion?

As I inspect the part more, I can see two other places that this occur, but they appear to be for only one layer versus the five or more layers on the top portions. Also the other locations are not de-laminating, even with a strong force applied, while the top section barely took anything to snap them off, a gentle squeeze took off the left column while just removing the part from the printer bed snapped the right one.

If anyone can help me confirm what the causes are it would be of great help!

Thanks in advance

And here is a closer image of the failed registration on a few layers at the beginning of the print.

Re: Two Issues, One Print
March 27, 2014 07:44PM
I can absolutely confirm the off-registration printing within the first 20 layers. I went back and watched a recording of the print and sure enough, there was one part that lifted off of the bed and went with the hotend only to land on the main part of the largest structure.

For the second issue, I think it is moisture, or other liquid contaminant, inside of the filament. I started another print a little bit ago after work and noticed some steam coming off of the filament as it was laid down. Where the steam occurred, there was no filament laid down. This could explain how easy it was to break the print at those points in the structure. Does this fit with other peoples experiences with this issue?

Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login