Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 layer shifting/drifting/tilted print

Posted by Freakling 
Prusa i3 layer shifting/drifting/tilted print
March 16, 2014 03:15PM
Hello!

I have been building a boxed frame Prusa i3. The thing is my prints are getting shifted in X axis and sometimes (rare) in Y axis.
I'm using Marlin and RAMPS 1.4 with standard nema 17 engines. A 430 ATX PSU connected so there should not be any issues with low amps.

Things I've tried:
Turn down Max acceleration
Adjust printing speed
Heatsink+powerful 120mm fan on the RAMPS
Belt X and Z belt is very tight, does not skip. You could play a tune on it.
Using pronterface to move the axises manually does not cause any stuttering or jagged movement

This is my first printer and I have never tried anything like this, so I might have missed stuff. Please help!

FYI this is inconsistent. I tried printing a small lego and it does not shift on the first few layers. Then I tried to print an adjustable X belt tensioner and it shifted a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Prusa i3 layer shifting/drifting/tilted print
March 16, 2014 05:41PM
Post your config file so we can take a look.

Have you slowed down the jerk speed as well?

Make sure the belts aren't too tight.

I had shifting problems, and it was the jerk/acceleration settings.
March 17, 2014 04:43AM
[saemundsson.se]
[saemundsson.se]
[saemundsson.se]

//// MOVEMENT SETTINGS
#define NUM_AXIS 4 // The axis order in all axis related arrays is X, Y, Z, E
#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 2*60, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,3400,340} // reprap with mxl by danithebest91
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 2, 45} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {900,900,10,1000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 300//3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 300//3000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts

// Offset of the extruders (uncomment if using more than one and relying on firmware to position when changing).
// The offset has to be X=0, Y=0 for the extruder 0 hotend (default extruder).
// For the other hotends it is their distance from the extruder 0 hotend.
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_X {0.0, 20.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the X axis
// #define EXTRUDER_OFFSET_Y {0.0, 5.00} // (in mm) for each extruder, offset of the hotend on the Y axis

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instanteneously)
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)
March 21, 2014 12:09PM
Still have not solved this.

I've gone as low as
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {50,50,10,200}
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 100
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 100

and Jerk settings down to 0 and then up again but still nothing.

Anyone might know what I'm missing? I'm really scratching my head here :/
I'm not sure what info to provide but just ask if anything in specific is needed!
March 21, 2014 12:54PM
Did you by chance adjust the POT on the board? I had to do that to mine as I was getting shifting also. Just a thought.
August 14, 2016 09:02AM
Hey there,

Did anyone solved this problem? I am encountering the same problem with shifting layers. There seems to be no real pattern in where the shifting will occure but it is mostly in the x direction.

I tried adjusting the current on the drivers --> didnt help

Also lowered the jerk settings --> did not help

Tried most things explained here (http://reprap.org/wiki/Shifted_layers) and running low on ideas sad smiley

Please Help! Its realy frustrating because the first layer is printed so nicely...

thanks in advance!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login