Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AZTeeg X3 Pro Stepper skipping

Posted by jhenak 
AZTeeg X3 Pro Stepper skipping
February 21, 2014 11:39PM
Hi,

A few weeks back my RUMBA board failed to connect and I decided to purchase an AZTeeg X3 pro. Once I received the AZTeeg I carefully tested each item then wired up the inputs and set the pins appropriately (the wiring diagram had one mistake that I corrected). I made a few minor changes (setting extruder count from 2 to 1) then tested using pronterface. I could move up down left right extrude heat the bed and hot end without issues. I also adjusted the voltage so that it was adequate to drive the motors. I loaded up an object that a few weeks ago would print fine in CURA.

Here's where things go weird. I load up CURA then start a print. The printer warms up and the Z axis moves down to the bottom as expected. The first layer prints at normal speed but with jagged lines as if the motors are stuttering. Then once the first layer is complete it moves up Z axis 1 layer and slows to less than 1 mm/s.It continues running at this speed until the power is cycled. The motors are not overly hot and I can easily touch the DRV8825 without feeling heat. The bottom layer is not as accurate as it was when I used the rumba.

I have the machine well lubed and it has been calibrated manually and my calibration macros show that it's not misaligned.

I measured my filament extruder and got exactly 10mm at both 30mm/min and 3030mm/min

I've repeated this test with new USB cords, adjusted stepper driver pots, new models, and the behavior is exactly the same on the second layer it slows down.

I need some help trying to figure out how to get my motors running smoothly.

Here is a thought I had on what could be my problem.
The AZTeeg pro supports digipot, is the board compatible with Pololu drivers?

Current setup

AZTeeg X3 Pro
Pololu DRV8825 Stepper Drivers w heat sink set at 1/32 for x,z,y and 1/8 for E
120MM fan cooling stepper drivers
3x KYSAN 1124030 76 oz/in Stepper Motors
1x Kystan ??? 5:1 Geared stepper
90mm fan cooling extruder
12V 350W Switching power supply
MK2B Heated bed
Merlin hotend
Custom delta repstrap
Re: AZTeeg X3 Pro Stepper skipping
February 22, 2014 04:38PM
Ok, I finally found out what my problem was.

I didn't have a fan plugged in to FAN_PIN but it was defined as pin 6. I stumbled upon this after finding out that CURA had the Fan cooling setting which adds a line in the GCode to turn on the fan at 50% power.

I updated my firmware to remove the FAN Pin's and it's back to printing.

I have to say that the AZTeeg X3 pro is a nice board, but it seems to make a lot more noise than the RUMBA with the same motors, psu, and stepper drivers.
March 25, 2014 12:54AM
Mine makes a good bit of noise as well, a lot less at 12v than 24v though.

I believe 16 microstepping is a bit quieter than 32.

I've read maybe the decay settings might help... I think you can lift, ground, or float the decay pin. I plan to try grounding it but I have not done so as of yet.

I think the noise is the current chopping circuit. I've noticed it does not do it much on my NEMA 17 motor, just on my 23's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 12:59AM by Tired2.
March 25, 2014 09:08AM
I've been working on tuning up my printer. One of the changes I have made is to adjust ( down ) the current being sent to the steppers. This resulted in a much quieter sound from the steppers. May want to give that a try.

jhenak
Ok, I finally found out what my problem was.

I didn't have a fan plugged in to FAN_PIN but it was defined as pin 6. I stumbled upon this after finding out that CURA had the Fan cooling setting which adds a line in the GCode to turn on the fan at 50% power.

I updated my firmware to remove the FAN Pin's and it's back to printing.

I have to say that the AZTeeg X3 pro is a nice board, but it seems to make a lot more noise than the RUMBA with the same motors, psu, and stepper drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login