Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie - need help with surface quality issues

Posted by flyboy 
Newbie - need help with surface quality issues
October 30, 2013 01:39PM
I recently completed my Prusa Mendel and have been having a great time printing. I love it. However, I'm seeing some issues in some of my prints that I don't know how to deal with. Can anyone suggest the causes of the "bubbling" indicated by the red arrow and by the layer separation, indicated by the green arrow? I'm thinking they may be related to things like nozzle temperature, cooling, filament, print speed. The scale shown is inches.
Attachments:
open | download - helmet_edit.jpg (232.3 KB)
Re: Newbie - need help with surface quality issues
October 30, 2013 02:21PM
Looks like you are printing far to thick of layers for your nozzle but without more information it is hard to tell. Adding details about your configuration, machine, software, hotend and material will always help you get help.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 30, 2013 03:13PM
Sorry about the lack of detail.

Prusa Mendel 200 x 200
3mm ABS plastic
layers are .3mm
j-head nozzle = .5mm
hot end temp = 225 C
bed temp = 110 C with kapton tape
currently no cooling fan
Printrun 12 July 2013 and the packaged Slic3r on WinXP
Sanguinololu 1.3

What else have I forgotten?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 03:17PM by flyboy.
October 30, 2013 04:23PM
The only missing would be the speeds I think.

I don't print with ABS but from the information given it may just be the helmet is so small and it does not have time to cool enough between layers. Since with ABS you can not use fans to cool the print you may need to slow down or adjust the cooling settings to automatically slow down. I also personally do not print at 0.3mm layers ever and would suggest to go down to 0.25mm as it will help with layer adhesion which should help with some of your issues. Last thing is the problem the red arrow points at may just be the result of that model having a sharp overhang above the visor and not really be printable in that orientation without support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 04:24PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login